Canadian Dollar Weekly Price Outlook: Loonie at Turn or Burn Pivot
- Updated weekly technicals on USD/CAD- rally testing key resistance confluence at fresh yearly highs
- Check out our latest projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. The Canadian Dollar has fallen more than 8.4% against the US Dollar year-to-date with USD/CAD attempting to rally for the sixth consecutive week. In fact, price has seen just one down-week since the October 1st low and the immediate focus is on a critical resistance pivot just higher. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the USD/CAD weekly chart heading into the close of the year.
USD/CAD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: In our last USD/CAD Weekly Technical Outlook we highlighted that price was approaching, “a key resistance zone at 1.3375-1.3435- a region defined by the 50% retracement of the 2016 decline, the June swing highs and the 2017 yearly open. A breach / weekly close above this threshold is needed to keep the immediate long-bias viable.”
A breakout on December 18th fueled the advance with price accelerating towards the next major confluence resistance zone at the 61.8% retracement of the 2016 decline / 2017 high-week close at 1.3647/86. Note that weekly RSI has just broken into overbought territory and keeps the bulls in control for now- a topside breach from here targets subsequent resistance objectives at the 2017 highs at 1.3793 and 2012 slope parallel, currently at ~1.39. Interim support rests at 1.3375 with broader bullish invalidation down at highlighted confluence zone at ~1.3030.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: USD/CAD is testing BIG resistance upper here and a breach / close is needed to keep the broader long-bias in play. From a trading standpoint, the immediate advance may be vulnerable below this threshold- a good place to reduce long exposure / raise protective stops. For now, keep an eye out for possible topside exhaustion while below this critical zone.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/CAD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-short USD/CAD - the ratio stands at +-5.97 (14.3% of traders are long) – bullish reading
- Traders have remained net-short since October 9th; price has moved 4.7% higher since then
- Long positions are 2.0% higher than yesterday and 18.4% lower from last week
- Short positions are 2.0% higher than yesterday and 3.0% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests USD/CAD prices may continue to rise. Traders are further net-short than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a stronger USD/CAD-bullish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in USD/CAD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
--- Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.