GBP/USD Rejected at Resistance- Price Constructive Above 1.2890
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- Sterling responds to confluence resistance- weakness to be viewed as opportunity
- Check out our New GBP/USD 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Technical Outlook: Sterling has been trading within the confines of this ascending pitchfork formation extending off the 2016 low with the rally encountering confluence resistance last week at the median-line / 38.2% retracement at 1.3121. Interim support rests with the monthly open with our broader focus higher in the pair while above 1.2854/91. A breach of the highs targets parallel resistance extending off the April highs, which converges on the 161.8% ext. of the 2017 advance at 1.3272.
Learn more about Multi-Timeframe Analysis in Michael’s three-part trading series
GBP/USD 240min Timeframe
Notes: A closer look at the 240min chart highlights and embedded ascending formation we’ve been tracking off the June lows with price testing the median-line today in New York trade. From a trading standpoint, I’ll be looking for exhaustion / long-entries on a break lower with our focus higher while within this near-term formation.
A breach & retest of 1.3121 would validate the breakout with such a scenario targeting subsequent topside objectives at 1.3202 & the upper parallel / 1.3272. Added caution is warranted heading into UK Retail Sales tomorrow with the release likely to fuel increased volatility in the sterling crosses.
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-short GBP/USD- the ratio stands at -1.27– weak bullish reading
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests GBP/USD prices may continue to rise. That said, Positioning is less net-short than yesterday but more net-short from last week and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a further mixed near-term trading bias.
- Bottom line: Sentiment is coming off extremes and highlights the near-term risk to this advance in the British Pound. Ultimately, I’m looking to fade a pullback in the pair with a breach above resistance needed to fuel the next ‘leg’ higher in price.
What to look for in GBP/USD retail positioning - Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant GBP/USD Data Releases
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
Other Setups in Play:
- AUD/JPY Rallies to Fresh Yearly Highs – Initial 2017 Targets in View
- Strategy Webinar: Aussie Breakout Testing 2016 Highs- What Next?
- USD/JPY Rally Vulnerable Ahead of U.S. CPI
- Is the Bitcoin Party Over? Crypto Threatens Major Reversal
- Did EUR/GBP Just Top?
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.