NZD/USD Technical Outlook: Price Reversal Targeting Trend Support
- NZD/USDreversal targeting uptrend support – threat is lower while within near-term channel
- Check out our 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The New Zealand Dollar has fallen more than 1.7% off the monthly highs with the pullback now targeting broader up-trend support. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the NZD/USD charts. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
NZD/USD Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: In my latest NZD/USD Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that price had, “responded to initial resistance at 6930 and while the immediate risk remains for a pullback off these levels, the medium-term outlook remains constructive.” Price is threatening a break below confluence support today around 6850 where the May low converges on the 200-day moving average – a close below this level would risk a deeper correction towards the median-line. Note that an RSI support trigger has already broken & offered resistance and further highlights the near-term threat.
NZD/USD 240min Price Chart
Notes: A closer look at Kiwi price action highlights last week’s reversal off pitchfork resistance with the decline trading within a near-term descending channel off the highs. The immediate threat is lower while below the highlighted slope confluence around ~6890s with near-term bearish invalidation at the monthly open at 6915. Confluence support rests at 6810 backed closely by the 100% extension at 6783 and the 38.2% retracement at 6761 – both levels of interest for possible exhaustion / long-entries IF reached.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: NZD/USD has responded to uptrend resistance and while the immediate threat is lower, ultimately the pullback may offer more favorable long-entries. From a trading standpoint, I’m targeting the median-line on this drop and we’ll be looking for reaction there for guidance. IF this pullback has deeper intentions, near-term advances should be capped by channel resistance.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
NZD/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-short NZD/USD - the ratio stands at -1.32 (43.1% of traders are long) – weak bullishreading
- Long positions are12.6% lower than yesterday and 5.4% higher from last week
- Short positions are 7.1% lower than yesterday and 8.3% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests NZD/USD prices may continue to rise. Traders are further net-short than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger NZDUSD-bullish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in NZD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant NZD/USD Data Releases
Active Trade Setups
- Gold Price Technical Outlook: Bulls Pause After $1250 Test
- USD/CAD Technical Outlook: Initial Targets for Post-NFP Reversal
- NZD/USD Price Outlook: Pending Bull Flag Breakout in Kiwi
- AUD/USD Outlook: Aussie Searches for Support after Failed Breakout
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.