USD/CAD Weekly Technical Outlook: Price at Key Resistance, BoC on Tap
- Updated weekly technicals on USD/CAD- price recovery approaching critical resistance
- Check out our 4Q projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and take a look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. The Canadian Dollar has been under considerable pressure for the past three weeks (USD/CAD higher more-than 2% month-to-date) with price now testing a critical resistance confluence ahead of the Bank of Canada rate decision on Wednesday. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the USD/CAD weekly chart. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
USD/CAD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: USD/CAD broke above 2016 pitchforkresistance back in June with price rebounding off this same slope into the start of October trade. Initially, the move looked like a breakdown in price – we were wrong! The subsequent recovery fueled a three-week rally with USD/CAD now approaching a critical resistance barrier at 1.3130/55- a region defined by the yearly high-week reversal close, the 61.8% retracement of the June decline and parallel resistance (red). Note that weekly RSI is also testing a resistance trigger extending off the yearly highs in momentum.
A breach / close above this threshold is needed to keep the long-bias viable with such a scenario targeting the 50% retracement of the 2016 decline at 1.3376 backed by 1.3647/86. Initial support rest with the monthly low-week close / 200-week moving average at ~1.2939/70 backed by the 52-week at ~1.2860s and a more significant confluence at the 100% extension at 1.2728.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line:USD/CAD is testing Big resistance here at 1.3130/55 with the immediate long-bias at risk while below. Keep in mind the Bank of Canada interest rate decision is on tap this week with markets already pricing in a 25basis point hike to 1.75%. From a trading standpoint, a good spot wind down long-exposure and raise stops. I’ll be looking for a reaction at this key resistance barrier, initially for a possible exhaustion / fade opportunity- watch the weekly close here for guidance.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then-Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/CAD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-short USD/CAD - the ratio stands at -1.66 (37.6% of traders are long) – bullish reading
- Traders have remained net-short since October 9th; price has moved 1.1% higher since then
- Long positions are15.1% higher than yesterday and 5.4% higher from last week
- Short positions are 9.2% higher than yesterday and 19.9% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests USD/CAD prices may continue to rise. Yet traders are less net-short than yesterday but more net-short from last week andthe combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed USD/CAD trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in USD/CAD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant USD/CAD Economic Data Releases
Previous Weekly Technical Perspectives
- Gold (XAU/USD)
- Crude Oil (WTI)
- Euro vs Japanese Yen (EUR/JPY)
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD/USD)
- Australian Dollar (AUD/USD)
- Dollar Index (DXY)
- Euro (EUR/USD)
--- Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.