To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- Crude Oil prices off nearly 5% from the September high- Decline approaching support
- Check out our new 4Q Crude Oil projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Crude Weekly Chart
Technical Outlook: Crude oil prices broke above channel resistance last month with the rally turning at former trendline support extending off the April 2016 low last week. The focus is on this pullback in price with confluence support eyed 47.43. Key resistance remains at 54-55.
New to Forex? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
Crude Daily Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action shows crude prices trading within the confines of a near-term ascending pitchfork formation extending off the yearly lows. Note that the lower parallel converges on the 200-day moving average and former trendline resistance extending off the yearly high around ~49.30/50. A break below that level would be needed to suggest a larger pullback is underway with such a scenario targeting 47.43/70- a region defined by the 50% retracement of the June advance, basic trendline support and the 100-day moving average.
Look for initial resistance at the weekly / monthly open (also the September high-day close) at 51.57. A breach above last week’s highs targets subsequent resistance objectives at 53.94 backed by 54.74-55. Bottom line: prices remain vulnerable near-term for a test of slope support just lower- look for a reaction there with the broader focus still higher while above yearly trendline support.
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Crude Oil- the ratio stands at +1.07 (51.6% of traders are long) – Weak bearishreading
- Long positions are 15.6% higher than yesterday and 38.2% higher from last week
- Short positions are 2.7% lower than yesterday and 22.1% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Oil - US Crude prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a stronger Oil - US Crude-bearish contrarian trading bias.
See how shifts in Crude retail positioning are impacting price trends- Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Other Setups in Play
- Bitcoin Prices Pause at Resistance, Retains Bullish Posture
- Weekly Technical Outlook: USD Majors, Cryptocurrencies in Focus
- Ethereum Prices Top 300- Will it Hold?
- USD/CAD Rally Eyes Key Resistance Targets
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.