Key Reversal Day Sets Ominous Tone for GBP/JPY
- GBP/JPY outside reversal day shifts focus lower
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Event Risk on Tap This Week
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- GBPJPY outside-day reversal candle off slope resistance- bearish
- Interim support targets at 184.98 backed by slope support / 184.16
- Interim resistance 185.92 backed by 186.92 (bearish invalidation)
- Daily RSI turning ahead of 60, pending support-trigger break – bearish
- Key Event Risk Ahead: UK Industrial / Manufacturing Production & Trade Balance and US Non-Farm Payrolls tomorrow.
Notes: GBPJPY reversed off slope resistance on the back of today’s BoE interest rate decision with the decline looking to mark an outside-day reversal candle. Near-term confluence support coming up at the 185-handle and could offer a brief reprieve. Interim resistance stands at 185.54 backed by 185.92-186 with our bearish invalidation level set at the September high-day close at 186.95.
Bottom line: looking lower / selling rallies while below 187 with a break if the ascending parallel structure needed to validate a more significant reversal for the pair targeting 184.16 & 186.33. A quarter of the daily average true range (ATR) yields profit targets of 35-38 pips per scalp. Caution is warranted heading into tomorrow’s data prints out of the UK & US with the releases likely to fuel added volatility in sterling & risk sensitive pairs.
For updates on this scalp and more setups throughout the week subscribe to SB Trade Desk
Relevant Data Releases Next Week
Other Setups in Play:
- GBP/USD Breakdown Potential on BoE, NFP- Levels to Know
- NZD/USD Shorts at Risk Ahead of Jobs Data- 6640 Key Support
- Webinar: Big Data Week to Threaten USD- RBA, BoE, NFP Setups in Focus
- AUD/JPY Shorts Primed for BoJ, RBA
- EUR/JPY in Free Fall Ahead of BoJ- Bearish Sub 134
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Struggling with your strategy? Here’s the number one mistake to avoid
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.