- GBP gapped lower versus USD, responding to Theresa May’s rejecting of an exit deal
- GBP/USD’s downside momentum continues dominant downtrend for majority of 2018
- Key economic data and BOE Gov. Carney’s speech may further influence the British Pound
Find out what retail traders’ British Pound buy and sell decisions say about the coming price trend!
The British Pound fell against the US Dollar during weekend trading as Brexit negotiations between the United Kingdom and the European Union hit an impasse. UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab and EU Chief Negotiation Michael Barnier were unable to reach an agreement on a draft treaty, leading PM May to label the deal a “non-starter”. Barnier later mentioned that some key issues remain open, including the Irish backstop.
GBP/USD 1-Hour Chart
This is the latest in ongoing Brexit turmoil, and could possibly bode ill for the Sterling’s recent upside momentum. If a deal is not reached, the United Kingdom would exit the EU and be subject to World Trade Organization rules, potentially causing declines in GBP. Furthermore, longstanding political uncertainty and tensions regarding Brexit have caused the GBP to weaken for the majority of this year. Furthermore, an increasingly hawkish Federal Reserve and haven demand amidst EM contagion fears and trade wars have caused the greenback to strengthen, intensifying the currency pair’s bearish action since April 2018.
GBP/USD Daily Chart
Looking ahead, this is a week of high economic activity for the British Pound. On Wednesday, the UK Statistics Office will release consumer inflation data for the month of September. In addition, Bank of England Governor Mark Carney is set to give a speech on Thursday, with forward guidance possibly dictating next moves for the Pound. However, ongoing Brexit negotiations will continue to take center stage and overshadow economic data’s influence on the Sterling. Developments upcoming summit of European Union leaders focusing on Brexit could cause volatility shocks to the currency pair.
GBP/USD Trading Resources
- Join a free Q&A webinar and have your trading questions answered
- Just getting started? See our beginners’ guide for FX traders
- Having trouble with your strategy? Here’s the #1 mistake that traders make
- See our free guide to learn what are the long-term forces driving GBP prices
--- Written by Megha Torpunuri, DailyFX Research Team