USD/CAD at Risk for Further Losses on Wait-and-See BoC
- USD/CAD risks further losses heading into BoC
- Broader focus remains lower sub-1.3254
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
Chart Created Using TradingView
Technical Outlook: Heading into the Bank of Canada (BoC) interest rate decision tomorrow the Loonie looks poised for further gains with the USDCAD holding within the confines of a descending pitchfork formation extending off the September & October highs. Note that we’ve been marking strong bearish divergence in daily momentum for some time now with the exchange rate posting an outside-day reversal off the monthly highs last week. An objective break below the monthly open yesterday shifts the focus lower with the median-line extending off the 9/14 high catching the decline earlier today.
The BoC is expected to retain its current policy in October as the central bank leans on fiscal authorities to boost economic activity. From a trading standpoint, heading into the release we’ll favor selling rallies while below immediate resistance at 1.3140/48 with our broader bearish invalidation level up at 1.3254. A break lower eyes subsequent support targets at 1.3025/29, 1.2987 & the highlighted median-line confluence at ~1.2950. For the complete setup and to continue tracking this trade & more throughout the week- Subscribe to SB Trade Desk.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are net longUSDCAD- the ratio stands at +1.15 (53% of traders are long)- weak bearish reading
- Long positions are 37.6% above levels seen last week while short positions are 16.87% lower over the same time period.
- Open interest is 4.9% below its monthly average
- The retail crowd shifted to net long on October 14th as the pair was in the midst of posting an outside-day reversal off the monthly highs. Current positioning suggests the near-term risk remains weighted to the downside.
Help fine-tune you entries, click here to learn more about the DailyFX Grid Sight Index (GSI)
Relevant Data Releases This Week
Other Setups in Play:
- AUD/NZD Approaches Key Slope of Influence- Longs at Risk Sub-1.0786
- Webinar: Is the Dollar Rip Ready to Slip?
- DAX Battle Lines Drawn as Index Looks to Regain 2016 Losses
- SPX Sell-Off Rebounds off Slope Support
- EUR/USD Breakdown Eyeing Initial Support Targets
Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s Top Trading Opportunity of 2016
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.