GBPUSD Rebound Testing First Resistance Barrier Ahead of BoE
- GBPUSD rebound eyes first major resistance
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Event Risk on Tap This Week
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- GBPUSD testing resistance confluence into 1.5340
- Breach targets more critical resistance up into 1.5447/50
- Interim support at 1.5237 backed by the weekly open at 1.5187 (bullish invalidation)
- Daily RSI divergence into the lows / pending resistance trigger- Break would be bullish
- Key Event Risk Ahead: Bank of England (BoE) Interest Rate Decisiontomorrow
Notes: Sterling is trading within the confines of a well-defined pitchfork formation off last week’s low with the 9/15 swing low capping today’s advance. A breach above this level targets objectives at 1.5382 & critical resistance up into 1.5447/50 where the 50% retracement converges on the upper median-line parallel.
The focus remains weighted to the topside while above the median-line / 1.5282 with a break below risking a decline towards the lower median-line parallel / 1.5236. A break sub-1.5187 (weekly open) would be needed to put the short-bias back in focus. Bottom line: the long-side is at risk near-term, but we’ll be looking to buy pullbacks while within this formation with a break of the highs targeting the 1.5450 confluence region.
A quarter of the daily average true range (ATR) yields profit targets of 27-30 pips per scalp. Caution is warranted heading into the BoE rate decision with the release likely to fuel added volatility in sterling crosses.
For updates on this scalp and more setups throughout the week subscribe to SB Trade Desk
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- Webinar: Scalping Aussie Crosses post NFP - RBA, BOE, BoJ on Tap
- AUDJPY Rebound Off Slope Support Eyes 86.00 Resistance Ahead of NFP
- AUDNZD at Critical Inflection Point- Scalps Target Weekly Opening Range
- Scalping EURUSD Ahead of NFP- Long Bias Favored Above 1.12
- Webinar: USD Fails at Resistance- Scalping Sept. Range Ahead of NFP
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Join Michael for Live Scalping Webinars on Mondays on DailyFX and Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday’s on SB Trade Desk at 12:30 GMT (8:30ET)
Struggling with your strategy? Here’s the number one mistake to avoid
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.