News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Bearish
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Wall Street
Bullish
Gold
Bullish
GBP/USD
Bullish
USD/JPY
Bullish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
More View more
Real Time News
  • IG Client Sentiment Update: Our data shows the vast majority of traders in Silver are long at 90.20%, while traders in France 40 are at opposite extremes with 81.43%. See the summary chart below and full details and charts on DailyFX: https://www.dailyfx.com/sentiment https://t.co/dQxPADf7NV
  • Gold prices have slipped lower in recent days. However, this seems to be only a temporary set-back as the long-term technical outlook continues to hint at further gains ahead. Get your $XAUUSD market update from @DanielGMoss here:https://t.co/6Zuyx9UapR https://t.co/o0lDwHEROi
  • Forex Update: As of 04:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: 🇪🇺EUR: -0.05% 🇨🇦CAD: -0.05% 🇬🇧GBP: -0.08% 🇳🇿NZD: -0.15% 🇯🇵JPY: -0.18% 🇦🇺AUD: -0.28% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#currencies https://t.co/0Rac5Jbkwc
  • Indices Update: As of 04:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: FTSE 100: 0.05% Wall Street: -0.04% France 40: -0.05% Germany 30: -0.07% US 500: -0.13% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#indices https://t.co/9K9bEY3UGo
  • The Dollar is poised with an inverse head-and-shoulders pattern, but it needs a catalyst to make something of the setup. $EURUSD has a wedge and may need to weight for #NFPs but $GBPUSD has the smallest 50-day range since July 2014 and the #BOE later today https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/daily_news_report/2021/05/06/EURUSD-and-GBPUSD-Staged-for-Breakouts-but-Where-are-the-Sparks-Before-NFPs.html https://t.co/xOeVyB0SOo
  • (Market Alert) AUD/USD Sinks as China Suspends Economic Talks with Australia, Will Support Break? $AUDUSD #China #NDRC #Australia #AUD https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market_alert/2021/05/06/AUDUSD-Sinks-as-China-Suspends-Economic-Talks-with-Australia-Will-Support-Break.html?CHID=9&QPID=917702&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Dubrovsky&utm_campaign=twr https://t.co/MkAxeNTjQF
  • Wall Street Futures Update: Dow Jones (-0.015%) S&P 500 (-0.096%) Nasdaq 100 (-0.191%) [delayed] -BBG
  • The US Dollar may continue trading lower against ASEAN currencies, with USD/SGD and USD/THB eyeing key support ahead. USD/IDR and USD/PHP also exhibit bearish postures. Get your market update from @ddubrovskyFX here:https://t.co/A5n9A8NBy4 https://t.co/5Eud5rCxyc
  • Do you think Dow Jones will outperform Nasdaq in May?
  • RT @KyleR_IG: First gaslighting, and now the silent treatment. This isn't a healthy relationship.
Asian Stocks Gain As Markets Eye March Fed Hike

Asian Stocks Gain As Markets Eye March Fed Hike

David Cottle, Analyst

Talking Points

  • Asian markets were mostly higher Wednesday after Donald Trump addressed Congress
  • The President offered little new, but little to disappoint either
  • Markets are looking to the next Federal Reserve meeting with renewed confidence that higher rates are coming

Asian stocks were mostly higher on Wednesday. US President Donald Trump offered few economic details in his much-anticipated speech to Congress but, it seems, few disappointments either.

Trump put a broad overhaul of the US immigration system in play and said the middle class could expect “massive” tax relief. He’s also after a $1 trillion infrastructure program. But these were broad strokes, and ones he has made before. US stock futures jumped as the President spoke, as did the Australian Dollar, but these gains were short-lived.

Away from Capitol Hill, however, a quickening drum-beat of commentary from Federal Reserve speakers has global markets eyeing a March interest-rate rise with renewed certainty. Both the San Francisco Fed President John Williams and New York’s William Dudley have made quite hawkish remarks in the past 24 hours.

Money-market futures now price in about a 70% chance of a hike this month, from 30% or less when this week started. This has strengthened the greenback and, as usual, Asia’s bourses have felt the benefit. The Nikkei added 1.4%, with Chinese stocks also higher. Australia’s ASX was a standout exception. It fell 0.1% by the close but that weakness was put down to falls for index heavyweight Telstra which traded ex-dividend on Wednesday.

News that Australia had avoided recession didn’t do a lot for the country’s assets as a return to growth in 2016’s final three months had been widely anticipated. China’s Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) data were pretty good, too. The manufacturing sector continues to pick up pace, with services still expanding in February, albeit more slowly. These numbers saw daylight as Trump spoke, which may have blunted their impact.

Gold prices took a hit as they often do when markets scent higher US rates- non-yielding gold works best when other assets don’t yield much either. Crude oil prices firmed up a little as Trump said nothing about expanding US output.

The rest of the session will offer various European PMIs, German inflation data and UK consumer credit numbers. From the US will come the Institute For Supply Management (ISM)’s manufacturing index, personal income and spending data and oil inventory numbers from the Department of Energy.

Would you like to know more about trading the financial markets? The DailyFX trading guide is here to help.

--- Written by David Cottle, DailyFX Research

Contact and follow David on Twitter:@DavidCottleFX

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES