EUR/USD Weekly Price Outlook: Euro Rally Targets Turn or Burn Level
- Updated weekly technicals on EUR/USD – price reversal targeting major resistance barrier
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX EUR/USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. Euro broke above a multi-month consolidation range with the advance targeting key resistance just higher. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the EUR/USD weekly chart. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
EUR/USD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: In last month’s EUR/USD Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that the broader short-bias remained ‘vulnerable while above this region (1.13) heading into the close of the year.’ Euro registered a low at 1.1306 early in the month with the subsequent rally failing just ahead of key resistance this week. Note that RSI has not broken above 50 since the early-2018 breakdown – a close above would mark a change of behavior in the weekly momentum profile.
The levels remain unchanged heading deeper into January trade with critical resistance steady at 1.1586-1.1603 – a region defined by the March trendline, the 61.8% retracement and the September outside-weekly reversal close. ‘A breach / close above this threshold is needed to suggest that a more significant low is in place with such a scenario targeting subsequent topside objectives at 1.1727 and the median-line / 52-week moving average / September high at 1.1800/15.’
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: The Euro advance is targeting critical downtrend resistance around the 1.16-handle (broader bearish invalidation). From a trading standpoint, the focus remains on a stretch into this region with a close above needed to suggest that a larger turn is underway. The immediate advance looks a bit vulnerable here so look for price to stabilize above the monthly open at 1.1445 if this is going to work. I’ll publish an updated EUR/USD technical outlook once we get further clarity on near-term price action.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
EUR/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long EUR/USD - the ratio stands at +1.05 (+51.3% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Long positions are 8.2% higher than yesterday and 1.1% higher from last week
- Short positions are 23.5% lower than yesterday and 5.9% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are more net-long than yesterday but less net-long from last week and the combination of current positioning& recent changes gives us a further mixed EUR/USD trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in EUR/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant EUR/USD Data Releases
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
- Australian Dollar (AUD/USD)
- Canadian Dollar (USD/CAD)
- Crude Oil (WTI)
- Gold (XAU/USD)
- Japanese Yen (USD/JPY)
--- Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.