News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Wall Street
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Gold
Bearish
GBP/USD
Bullish
USD/JPY
Bearish
More View more
Real Time News
  • A “PIP” – which stands for Point in Percentage - is the unit of measure used by forex traders to define the smallest change in value between two currencies. Learn how to understand pips in forex here: https://t.co/AfAhmI7kAV https://t.co/JiZPRZzwgo
  • RT @IGSquawk: Crypto update: #Bitcoin 56398.30 -7.34% #Ether 2213.91 -7.42% #BitcoinCash 925.49 -12.24% #EOS 6.8039 -15.98% #Stellar 0.5276…
  • Many people are attracted to forex trading due to the amount of leverage that brokers provide. Leverage allows traders to gain more exposure in financial markets than what they are required to pay for. Learn about FX leverage here: https://t.co/BdgFmkzWwW https://t.co/rJUm1W9wrc
  • It’s important for traders to be familiar with FX spreads as they are the primary cost of trading currencies. Understand a pair's spread here: https://t.co/zEEUHZjVIG https://t.co/oZPoyPH2iw
  • Using margin in forex trading is a new concept for many traders, and one that is often misunderstood. Margin is the minimum amount of money required to place a leveraged trade and can be a useful risk management tool. Learn about margin trading here: https://t.co/qZCE5asCzM https://t.co/yN1I9FrfIS
  • There’s a strong correlation between interest rates and forex trading. Forex is ruled by many variables, but the interest rate of the currency is the fundamental factor that prevails above them all. Learn how interest rates impact currency markets here: https://t.co/5l3O9aHQbL https://t.co/DFEfCIl7zF
  • Thin liquidity can concentrate volatility and nowhere is that more evident than with Dogecoin. $DOGEUSD was down as much as 38% today. Watch for heightened bouts of volatility amid quiet risk trends in the week ahead: https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/daily_news_report/2021/04/17/Dollar-Outlook-Ties-Into-Key-Data-Rate-Forecasts-and-Even-Dogecoins-Rally-.html https://t.co/JO7O7zUKe9
  • It’s important for traders to be familiar with FX spreads as they are the primary cost of trading currencies. Understand a pair's spread here: https://t.co/zEEUHZjVIG https://t.co/Vv3jZNbLWg
  • Many people are attracted to forex trading due to the amount of leverage that brokers provide. Leverage allows traders to gain more exposure in financial markets than what they are required to pay for. Learn about FX leverage here: https://t.co/BdgFmkzWwW https://t.co/9j004hyzUZ
  • Learning how to trade does not have to feel foreign. Hone your skills and build your confidence with free DailyFX guides today! https://t.co/lnxaQOsgid https://t.co/7myL4vGnt8
All Time Highs are Hard Work; DJIA Takes a Breather

All Time Highs are Hard Work; DJIA Takes a Breather

Jeremy Wagner, CEWA-M, Head of Education

Talking Points

-DJIA (Dow Jones Industrial Average) closes up 12 of the past 14 trading days

-Fed rate hike expectations still low near 42% for December 2016

-Anticipating an eventual break higher above 18,575 towards 19,700-20,000

Dow Jones Industrial Average has closed up 12 of the past 14 trading days with the last 2 days consolidating in a tight range. Low expectations for Fed rate hikes continues to be a driver for equities. Fed rate hike expectations continue to show 42% chance of a hike in December 2016 which means a 58% chance of nothing happening.

We have been calling out since July 8 (before the break higher) that 18,575 may become a speed bump for US30, a CFD which tracks the DJIA. US30 has consolidated in a tight range for the past 2 trading days between 18,571 and 18,462. We anticipate this will be just a speed bump meaning prices eventually overcome 18,575.

All Time Highs are Hard Work; DJIA Takes a Breather

Chart prepared by Jeremy Wagner

It is quite possible for a small sell off to ensue from nearby levels. Therefore, a move lower to either the orange horizontal line (18,365) or the black horizontal line (18,167) would be completely normal within the current structure. Keep in mind, the current pattern appears to be in a 3rd wave higher which tends to be the strongest of the 5 wave sequence. Therefore, in this apparent pattern, is not required for the sell off to reach the lines above. If they did, it would offer a good risk to reward ratio opportunity.

As an alternate, it is possible that our interpretation of the pattern is incorrect and prices sell off below 17,725. Although we consider this a much lower probability, prices then likely revisit 17,000. We will need to readdress the pattern if that happens.

From a sentiment perspective, traders continue to pile in to the short side of the coin as only 7.5% of the traders with a position are long. Typically, sentiment (SSI) is a contrarian indicator and suggests more gains are coming for US30. (Learn more about trading with SSI here.)

Bottom line, the risk to the immediate bullish view can be moved higher to 17,725 as we consider buying dips or breaks higher.

Suggested Reading: Dow Jones Industrial Average Punches Back After Brexit Collapse

Interested in a longer term outlook for equities? Download our quarterly forecast here.

Do your losing trades overshadow your winning trades? Learn about the psychology behind why that might be happening in our Traits of Successful Traders research.

---Written by Jeremy Wagner, Head Trading Instructor, DailyFX EDU

Follow me on Twitter at @JWagnerFXTrader .

See Jeremy’s recent articles at his Bio Page.

To receive additional articles from Jeremy via email, join Jeremy’s distribution list.

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES