Near-term Setups in EUR/USD, Bitcoin & Ethereum
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays on DailyFX at 12:30GMT (8:30ET)
- See our 3Q projections in the DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Click Here to be added to Michael’s email distribution list.
Here's an update on the setup's I’m tracking into the start of the week. Find a detailed, in-depth review of both these setups and more in today’s Strategy Webinar.
EUR/USD Daily Chart
Last week I noted that the ‘battle lines’ were drawn for the Euro as the pair set a clear monthly opening range just below long-term slope resistance. Heading into FOMC the focus will be on a break of this between 1.1850 & the yearly high-day close at 2035. From a trading standpoint, I’ll favor selling strength within this range with a break below the median-line needed to suggest a more significant near-term top is in play. Ultimately I’d be looking for long-entries near- 1.1680 – 1.17.
We warned of a deeper correction in Bitcoin prices last week with the subsequent drop probing just below the 3023/33 confluence support zone before rebounding sharply. The subsequent rally is now approaching the underside of the median-line as resistance. Look for a reaction here with a close above 4213 needed to validate resumption of the broader uptrend targeting the upper parallel ~4600. From a trading standpoint look for a pullback here but prices should stabilize above the reversal day close at 3700 if we’re heading higher. Things are about to get interesting here.
Join Michael this Friday for his bi-weekly Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-long Bitcoin (BTCUSD) - the ratio stands at +1.8 (64.2% of traders are long)- bearish reading
- Long positions are 1.8% lower than yesterday and 11.5% lower from last week
- Short positions are 23.9% higher than yesterday and 20.6% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Bitcoin (USD) prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday and compared with last week. Recent changes in sentiment warn that the current Bitcoin (USD) price trend may continue higher despite the fact traders remain net-long.
See how shifts in retail positioning are impacting trend.Learn how Sentiment can help your trading in this free guide!
ETHUSD:A similar scenario is playing out in Ethereum prices, which probed even deeper below support last week before recovering. The levels remain unchanged from last week’s update with key near-term support raised to 259.
Check out this week’s DailyFX Webinar Schedule
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michaelon Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.