Equities, AUD Set to Gap Higher On US-China Trade Truce at G-20
What's on this page
Talking Points – G20, US-CHINA TRADE WAR, AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR, S&P 500
- Stock benchmarks and AUD/USD soar in weekend trading on news of halt in US-China tariffs
- US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement signed, in addition to commitment towards WTO reform
- US supply management data, RBA OCR decision, and Australian 3Q GDP in focus next
The Australian Dollar strengthened against the US Dollar in weekend trading following developments from the G-20 Summit in Argentina. Most notably, Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Donald Trump agreed to halt tariffs after January 1st, in addition to committing to step up talks on cancelling all tariffs.
AUD/USD Chart (Hourly)
Equities similarly reacted to the news, cheering on the temporary ceasefire as S&P 500 futures jumped 0.510% and Dow Jones futures rose 0.583% in after-hours trading. Asia Pacific markets are set to gap higher ahead of Monday’s trading session, possibly boding ill for anti-risk units such as Japanese Yen and Swiss Franc.
Nikkei 225 Futures Chart (Hourly)
In addition to the ceasefire in the US-China trade war, leaders of the world’s largest economies discussed World Trade Organization reform, stating that the structure is “falling short of its objectives and [that] there is room for improvement”. President Trump, along with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, signed the new U.S. Mexico Canada Agreement, replacing NAFTA.
Looking ahead, a packed docket of economic data will continue to influence markets and the Australian Dollar this week this week. November’s US ISM manufacturing and employment data is due later on Monday, in addition to the RBA’s cash rate target and Australian 3Q GDP figures.
Forex Trading Resources
- Join a free Q&A webinar and have your trading questions answered
- Just getting started? See our beginners’ guide for FX traders
- Having trouble with your strategy? Here’s the #1 mistake that traders make
- See how currencies are viewed by the trading community at the DailyFX Sentiment Page
--- Written by Megha Torpunuri, DailyFX Research Team
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.