DailyFX US AM Digest: US Dollar Steady at Start of Big Week
Receive the DailyFX US AM Digest in your inbox every day before US equity markets open - signup here
The Euro is stabilizing after last week’s tumble following the October ECB rate decision as new catalysts are sought after. Upcoming Euro-Zone CPI and GDP releases on Tuesday could offer further reprieve. Meanwhile, the British Pound continues to tread water ahead of the BOE’s November policy meeting this Thursday, when it is widely believed a 25-bps rate hike will be announced. Given that a rate hike is almost 100% priced-in, the forward guidance on future rate hikes will be the determining factor for the Sterling. Finally, the US Dollar is only down slightly on the day (via DXY Index) as US Treasury yields have eased from multi-month (the 10Y) or multi-year (the 2Y) highs. The Fed rate decision this Wednesday is expected to be merely a placeholder.
DailyFX Economic Calendar: Monday, October 30, 2017 – North American Releases
The remainder of the day on the North American economic calendar is fairly light, with four items left and all being ‘low’ importance. Instead, traders should be keeping an eye tuned to the news wire, as it is very likely US President Trump will make his pick for the next Fed Chair at some point in the coming days before he leaves for his Asia diplomacy tour on November 3. Jerome Powell, a 2012 Obama-appointee to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, is believed to be favored over current Fed Chair Janet Yellen.
DailyFX Webinar Calendar: Monday, October 30, 2017
IG Client Sentiment Index Chart of the Day: Positioning Summary Table
Five Things Traders are Reading
- “FX Markets Brace for Big Week: EZ CPI; BOJ, FOMC, & BOE; US NFP” by Christopher Vecchio, CFA, Senior Currency Strategist
- “USD/JPY, GBP/USD Volatility Expectations Differ Ahead of BoJ, BoE” by Paul Robinson, Market Analyst
- “COT: Large Specs Stubbornly Long Euro, CAD, AUD, but Fleeing from NZD” by Paul Robinson, Market Analyst
- “US Dollar Casts Worried Eye on Mueller Indictment, Trump Fed Pick” by Ilya Spivak, Senior Currency Strategist
- “After ECB Policy Meeting, Euro Adrift Looking for a Life Boat” by Christopher Vecchio, CFA, Senior Currency Strategist
The DailyFX US AM Digest is published every day before the US cash equity open - you can SIGNUP HERE to receive this report in your inbox every day.
The DailyFX Asia AM Digest is published every day before the Tokyo cash equity open - you can SIGNUP HERE to receive that report in your inbox every day.
If you're interested in receiving both reports each day, you can SIGNUP HERE.