- EUR/USD prices reversal off weekly support now eyeing initial resistance targets
- Check out our 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX EUR Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Euro reversed off confluence support last week with the advance now approaching the first major resistance hurdles. Here are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the EUR/USD charts heading into the start of the week. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
EUR/USD Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: Earlier this month in my EUR/USD Weekly Technical Perspective we highlighted a key support zone at in Euro at 1.1436/97 (low-week reversal close and the 61.8% retracement of the August advance). Price registered a low at 1.1432 on October 9th with the subsequent rebound faltering just ahead of a key resistance confluence at 1.1617/27 – a region defined by the monthly open & opening-range highs, the 50% retracement of the late-September decline and the 100-day moving average. A breach above this level targets 1.1669 (breakout-zone for the Euro). Initial daily support rests at 1.1529 backed by the monthly low-day close at 1.1491.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
EUR/USD 240min Price Chart
Notes:A closer look at near-term price action shows Euro trading within the confines of an ascending pitchfork formation extending off the October lows. Note that the upper parallel converges on the 1.1617/27 resistance zone and further highlights the technical significance of this region. Initial resistance rests with the median-line (currently 1.1550s) backed by 1.1521/29 with near-term bullish invalidation now raised to 1.1497-1.15.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: EUR/USD is approaching near-term resistance targets which could see prices pullback a bit. From a trading standpoint, look for possible price exhaustion on a rally into 1.1617/27 – the trade remains constructive while above 1.15 with a breach above 1.1669 needed to fuel the next leg higher in price. The October opening-range is set - for now, I’ll favor fading weakness while within this formation. Keep in mind the EU-UK summit is on tap this week as well and may fuel increased volatility in the Euro & GBP crosses.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
EUR/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long EUR/USD - the ratio stands at +1.12 (52.8% of traders are long) – extremely weak bearishreading
- Traders have remained net-long since October 1st; price has moved 0.2% lower since then
- Long positions are7.8% lower than yesterday and 13.5% lower from last week
- Short positions are 5.9% higher than yesterday and 0.3% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/USD prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday & compared with last week andthe recent changes in sentiment warn that the current EUR/USD price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long.
See how shifts in EUR/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant EUR/USD Economic Data Releases
Active Trade Setups
- Webinar: Trade Levels for USD Majors, Gold and More amid the Recent Stock Drop
- Gold Price Outlook: Risk Sell-off to Fuel XAU/USD Breakout
- GBP/USD Price Outlook: Sterling Trade Levels for the Pending Breakout
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org