Ripple

What is Ripple (XRP)?

Ripple, often known as XRP, is a digital currency created as a standard of exchange on the Ripple payment protocol. It exists fully within the Ripple Payment and Exchange Network and can be used to facilitate transactions between traditional fiat currencies and other cryptocurrencies across the payment network.

How does the ripple coin work?

Unlike Bitcoin, Ethereum and other major cryptocurrencies, Ripple is not mined. Instead there is a fixed stock of 100 billion XRP controlled by the founding company, Ripple Labs. The company's founders retained 20% of the stock of XRP for themselves and left the remaining 80% with Ripple Labs.

The company in turn has publicly committed to release a maximum of 1 billion XRP monthly until all of the remaining XRP are in circulation. This fact is a matter of some controversy as it directly implies there is a central entity controlling its supply-a concept anathema to many cryptocurrency enthusiasts.

What is the value of ripple today?

The value of XRP gained significantly through late 2017 and early 2018, becoming at time of writing only second to Bitcoin in overall market capitalization. Much of this can be attributed to the impressive growth in the Ripple Network. It is ultimately reasonable to expect the valuation of XRP will largely track the adoption of the Ripple Network as a facilitator of currency transactions.

Understanding the Ripple Network

To understand XRP it is important to discuss the Ripple Payment and Exchange Network: a fast-growing venue for cross-border payments which has gained acceptance from major global financial institutions.

Financial institutions and individuals can transact on any number of government-backed currencies and cryptocurrencies on the Ripple Network and do not need to use XRP. Yet the usage of XRP effectively eliminates counterparty risk and likewise facilitates cross-currency transactions and liquidity for other currencies.

How to trade Ripple

You can track the price of Ripple on our currency chart, and read all the latest ripple coin news and analysis to support your cryptocurrency day trading.

View More

XRPUSD chart

XRPUSD chart by TradingView

IGCS: IG Client Sentiment data provided by IG


Last Week
8.51
Current
---
Chg. Open Interest
389.0%
Outlook
Bearish

Pivot Points data provided by IG

Support & Resistance

XRP
S10.5121 W R30.7591 S
S20.4964 M R20.6858 M
S30.1788 S R10.5348 W
Trend
neutral
Advertisement

Ripple further reading

News


Ripple (XRP) Price Remains Positive Despite Latest Slump

Ripple sits just above important support after rallying and falling sharply in the last few days and this support needs to hold if the market is to push ahead again.
Continue Reading


Ripple (XRP) Price: Buyers Turning Chart Outlook Positive


Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple Prices - Bears Remain in Control | Webinar


Bitcoin (BTC), Ether (ETH), Ripple (XRP) Prices Continue to Plunge


Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple - Sharp Sell-Off Wrecks Sentiment | Webinar


Real Time News


Analyst Picks

Michael Boutros

Michael Boutros Currency Strategist

My Picks: Near-term Setups in USD/JPY, AUD/NZD, Ripple (XRP/USD)
Expertise: Technical Analysis
Average Time Frame of Trades: 1-3 Days

Advertisement

Get Your Free Introduction To Bitcoin Trading

Please enter valid First Name
Please fill out this field.
Please enter valid Last Name
Please fill out this field.
Please enter valid email
Please fill out this field.
Please select a country

I’d like to receive information from Daily FX and IG about trading opportunities and their products and services via email.

Please fill out this field.

Your Guides Are Headed to Your Inbox

At DailyFX, we believe that the best way to improve is to get your hands dirty . So your guides come with a free demo account from our provider, IG, which you can use to try out trading with zero risk.

Your demo is preloaded with virtual funds, which you can use to trade over 10,000 live global markets.

Learn More about Your Demo

Your guides are headed to your inbox

DailyFX.com – the news, research and analysis website provided by IG – is one of the world's leading sources for news and analysis across currencies, commodities and indices.

Take a look at our extensive calendar of free educational webinars to help develop your trading strategy, then test your new skills, risk-free, with an IG demo account.

Read more articles on DailyFX

An error occurred submitting your form.
Please try again later.

Advertisement

Forex Economic Calendar

A:  Actual   F:  Forecast     P:  Previous