Gold Price Targets: XAU/USD Range Breakout Imminent- GLD Outlook
- Gold price– weekly opening-range break to offer guidance- risk remains lower sub-1502
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX Gold Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Gold prices are virtually unchanged since the start of the week with XAU/USD setting a well-defined weekly opening range just below resistance. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the XAU/USD charts this week. Review my latestWeekly Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this gold price setup and more.
New to Gold Trading? Get started with this Free How to Trade Gold -Beginners Guide
Gold Price Chart - XAU/USD Daily
Technical Outlook: In my latest Gold Price Outlook we noted that, “The recent gold price recovery is vulnerable here while below near-term downslope resistance,” with the risk lower while within this descending channel formation. XAU/USD fell nearly 2% in the following days with price holding just above monthly open support at 1472. The monthly opening-range is set just above a critical support confluence at 1451/61 and we’re looking for the break.
Gold Price Chart - XAU/USD 120min
Notes: A closer look at gold price action shows XAU/USD continuing to trading within the confines of a near-term descending pitchfork formation extending off the late-September highs. The weekly opening-range has taken shape just below the upper parallel and we’re looking for the break to offer guidance. A topside breach / close above 1497 is needed to validate a near-term breakout targeting 1502- look for a reaction there IF reached.
Interim support rests with the October trendline (currently around ~1480) with a break / close below the monthly open / 78.6% retracement at 1472 needed to mark resumption of the broader downtrend targeting key confluence support at 1460/61.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: We’re looking for a break of the weekly opening-range in Gold prices with the risk lower while with the confines of this formation. From a trading standpoint, we’ll favor fading strength sub-1496 targeting a downside break of the monthly trendline. We’ll be on the lookout for downside exhaustion on a test of the 1460/61 key support zone IF reached. Review my latest Gold Price Weekly Outlook for a closer look at the longer-term XAU/USD technical trading levels.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Gold Trader Sentiment - XAU/USD Price Chart
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Gold- the ratio stands at +2.4 (70.62% of traders are long) – bearishreading
- Long positions are9.07% higher than yesterday and 12.16% higher from last week
- Short positions are2.87% lower than yesterday and 14.32% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Gold prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a stronger Gold-bearish contrarian trading bias.
See how shifts in Gold retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Active Trade Setups
- Sterling Price Outlook: British Pound Breakout Throttles Higher
- Canadian Dollar Price Outlook: USD/CAD Rally Stalls at Resistance
- Japanese Yen Price Outlook: USD Reversal Risks Deeper USD/JPY Losses
- Euro Price Outlook: EUR/USD Stalls into Monthly Open- Bears Beware
- Australian Dollar Price Outlook: Aussie Drops into Downtrend Support
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.