Gold Price Technical Outlook: GLD Targeting Yearly Open Support
- Gold risk for test of yearly open / 2019 range lows while below 1302
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX Gold Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Gold prices are down nearly 3% from the March highs with decline taking price into near-term downtrend support ahead of tomorrow’s Non-Farm Payroll (NFP) release. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the XAUUSD charts.
New to Gold Trading? Get started with this Free How to Trade Gold -Beginners Guide
Gold Daily Price Chart (XAUUSD)
Technical Outlook: In my last Gold Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that prices were, “poised for a reversal off the yearly high-week close and leaves the risk lower heading into the April open. From trading standpoint, look for a reaction in price on a move towards confluence support at 1275 or 1258 – both levels of interest for possible price exhaustion.” Price registered a low at 1280 today with the decline responding to near-term confluence support at the 100-day moving average / January trendline.
Key support remains at, 1275/76, “where the objective yearly opening-range low converges on the 38.2% retracement of the 2018 advance and former pitchfork resistance.” Daily resistance steady at 1302 with a breach / close above the February trendline (bearish invalidation) needed to shift the focus back to the topside targeting 1322.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Gold 120min Price Chart (XAUUSD)
Notes: A closer look at price action shows Gold trading within the confines of a near-term descending pitchfork formation extending off the March highs with XAU/USD attempting to break below the lower parallel today in New York trade. There are a few slopes at play here, but the general threat is for a near-term recovery within the confines of this multi-day descending channel (red).
Initial resistance stands at 1293 with a topside breach above 1297 needed to challenge 1302- both areas of interest for possible exhaustion. Yearly open support steady at 1280 – weakness beyond this threshold targets a more significant confluence at 1275/76- look for a larger reaction there IF reached (are of interest for possible long-entries).
Bottom line: The immediate threat is for a near-term recovery here but ultimately, we’re looking for low final low in price while below 1302. From a trading standpoint, look for exhaustion on a rally towards the March trendline targeting the yearly open. A move lower may offer more favorable long-entries closer to the 2019 range lows. Review our latest Gold 2Q forecasts for a longer-term look at the technical picture for XAUUSD.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Gold Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Gold- the ratio stands at +3.31 (76.8% of traders are long) – bearishreading
- Long positions are3.6% higher than yesterday and 8.0% higher from last week
- Short positions are 6.6% lower than yesterday and 9.4% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Gold prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger Gold-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in Gold retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Active Trade Setups
- Euro Price Outlook: EUR/USD Sets Opening Range Above Critical Support
- Sterling Price Outlook: Pound at Key Support as Brexit Saga Continues
- Canadian Dollar Price Outlook: USD/CAD- Break or Bend, Monthly Highs
- Oil Price Outlook: Crude Breakout Battles 60- WTI Trade Levels
- Kiwi Price Outlook: NZD/USD Post-RBNZ Sell-Off Targets Yearly Support
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.