AUD/USD Technical Analysis: Key Trend Support Under Fire
AUD/USD Technical Strategy: BEARISH
- Australian Dollar testing key near-term support below 0.71 figure
- Breakout sets the stage for completing large bearish Triangle setup
- Invalidating bearish bias calls for a reversal back above 0.72 mark
Get help building confidence in your AUD/USD strategy with our free trading guide!
The Australian Dollar accelerated lower after rejection at resistance capping upside progress against its US counterpart since early December 2018, as expected. Prices are now testing support guiding the upswing from early March, with a breakdown confirmed on a daily closing basis opening the door for a challenge of the 0.6982-0.7021 area.
That marks the bottom of an emerging Descending Triangle pattern. The setup typically carries bearish implications. Completing it with a close through support’s outer layer would signal resumption of the dominant downtrend started in January 2018. In this scenario, extrapolating the Triangle’s height downward from the breakout point implies a downside objective at 0.6650.
Sizing up more immediate positioning on the four-hour chart, the 0.7049-73 congestion area seems to follow immediately after trend line support, with a breach below that setting the stage for a probe below the 0.70 figure. Thorough invalidation of the bearish tilt in overall positioning appears to call for a reversal back above the 0.72 figure, unlocking the range prevailing since mid-March.
AUD/USD TRADING RESOURCES
- Just getting started? See our beginners’ guide for FX traders
- Having trouble with your strategy? Here’s the #1 mistake that traders make
- Join a free Trading Q&A webinar and have your questions answered
--- Written by Ilya Spivak, Currency Strategist for DailyFX.com
To contact Ilya, use the comments section below or @IlyaSpivak on Twitter
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.