AUD/USD Technical Analysis: Trend Bias Still Bearish After Rebound
AUD/USD Technical Strategy: NET SHORT AT 0.7492
- Australian Dollar rebound neutralizes 3-week resistance hurdle
- Dominant chart setup continues to favor downtrend resumption
- Short AUD/USD trade still in play, invalidation above 0.73 mark
See our free guide to get help building confidence in your AUD/USD trading strategy!
The Australian Dollar has mounted a spirited recovery against its US counterpart but overall chart positioning continues to favor downtrend resumption. The four-hour chart reveals a break of three-week resistance, seemingly defusing immediate selling pressure.
Turning to the daily chart however, the move has amounted to no more than retest of recently broken double bottom support in the 0.7145-75 area, now recast as resistance. Furthermore, anything shy of a daily close above the outer layer of trend resistance – now at 0.7330 – keeps the dominant bias convincingly bearish.
With that in mind, the short AUD/USD position initiated at 0.7608, then scaled up near 0.7530 and thereafter again at 0.7325, remains in play.The overall cost basis is 0.7492. A stop-loss will be activated on a discretionary basis, although a break of trend resistance is a likely catalyst to exit.
AUD/USD TRADING RESOURCES
- Just getting started? See our beginners’ guide for FX traders
- Having trouble with your strategy? Here’s the #1 mistake that traders make
- Join a free Trading Q&A webinar and have your questions answered
--- Written by Ilya Spivak, Currency Strategist for DailyFX.com
To contact Ilya, use the comments section below or @IlyaSpivak on Twitter
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.