News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
EUR/USD
Bullish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Wall Street
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Gold
Bullish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
GBP/USD
Mixed
USD/JPY
Mixed
More View more
Real Time News
  • - S&P 500 unimpressed by ongoing fiscal talks as #election nears - Third and final presidential debate coming up: what to expect - Why might the #SP500 index target an inflection point 3361? https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/daily_briefing/daily_pieces/asia_am_briefing/2020/10/20/SP-500-Uninspired-by-Fiscal-Talks-Ahead-of-Final-Presidential-Debate.html
  • Join @ddubrovskyFX 's #webinar at 8:00 PM ET / 0:00 GMT to find out what information you can gain from knowing what other traders are buying or selling. Register here: https://t.co/Bb3CTCTm44 https://t.co/k1eyZzhAWa
  • The British Pound may fall if EU and UK negotiators fail to reach a consensus as the December 31 deadline nears. The third presidential debate is on deck, how might markets react? Find out from @ZabelinDimitri here:https://t.co/kDSYzBDA3t https://t.co/wmltuIVo5h
  • #BTC testing confluent resistance at the Ascending Channel midpoint and September high (12067) RSI hints at further gains as it surges towards overbought territory Is #Bitcoin poised to break back above key resistance at the $12,000 mark? https://t.co/YCPnKq0VcJ https://t.co/EgHA4jELhI
  • I thought it was make or break today by the close on whether they can get a fiscal stimulus before the Nov 3rd election... https://t.co/YgwnE9vDXC
  • Forex Update: As of 20:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: 🇨🇦CAD: 0.48% 🇪🇺EUR: 0.45% 🇨🇭CHF: 0.32% 🇯🇵JPY: -0.06% 🇦🇺AUD: -0.27% 🇳🇿NZD: -0.40% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#currencies https://t.co/0YPpZ9dwBY
  • USD/JPY Price Outlook: Dollar-Yen Undermined by Fiscal Stimulus Hopes Link to Analysis via @DailyFX: https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market_alert/2020/10/20/usdjpy-usd-jpy-price-outlook-dollar-yen-undermined-by-stimulus-hopes.html $USDJPY $USD $JPY #FX #Forex #Trading https://t.co/yNss3yhgt7
  • It’s been relatively quiet in FX-land, but the USD did push below a big zone of support earlier today. Get your $USD currency pairs technical analysis from @JStanleyFX here:https://t.co/ZC8g3lVxoO https://t.co/lchSrr9hBO
  • Commodities Update: As of 20:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: Silver: 1.02% Gold: 0.15% Oil - US Crude: -1.06% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#commodities https://t.co/SN5ZJQwiRu
  • White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows: -Mnuchin and Pelosi made good progress on stimulus talks today -We still have a ways to go toward reaching a deal -Talks productive enough to continue again tomorrow -Trump admin offer currently stands at $1.88-trillion
Currency Volatility: New Zealand Volatility Skyrockets as Investors Eye RBNZ

Currency Volatility: New Zealand Volatility Skyrockets as Investors Eye RBNZ

2019-05-07 16:00:00
Justin McQueen, Analyst
Share:

Currency Volatility NZD Talking Points

  • NZDUSD Volatility Surges to Highest Since September 2016
  • NZDUSD Overnight implied move 58pips

Top 10 most volatile currency pairs and how to trade them

For a more in-depth analysis on FX, check out the Q2 FX Forecast

Currency Volatility: New Zealand Volatility Skyrockets as Investors Eye RBNZ

Source: DailyFX

Currency Volatility: New Zealand Volatility Skyrockets as Investors Eye RBNZ

Source: Thomson Reuters, DailyFX

NZDUSD | Daily Range (0.6540 – 0.6650)

As highlighted in the weekly volatility report (full story) deteriorating data has fuelled expectations of a rate cut from the RBNZ, which in turn has kept the New Zealand Dollar under pressure. As it stands, overnight index swaps are pricing in a 40% chance of a 25bps cut at today’s meeting, as opposed to 60% on Friday with the RBA’s decision to stand pat seeing a pullback in rate cut bets. In light of the knife-edge rate decision, overnight implied volatility has jumped to the highest level since September 2016, whereby demand for NZD put options are highest since September 2018. However, the break-even for NZDUSD is only 58pips.

If indeed the RBNZ were to lower interest rates this would undoubtfully see the NZD initially under pressure. However, much like the RBA, a decision to stand pat on rates could see a short squeeze provide support for the currency, although with the rate decision expected to be accompanied with a dovish statement (opening room for a cut) an initial short squeeze bid could be subsequently faded. As a reminder, RBNZ Governor Orr highlighted on April 25th (after inflation data but before jobs data) that the NZ economy was “in a pretty good spot”, while the NZ Shadow Board had also reiterated no recommended changes, thus there is a risk of no change at the rate decision.

OVERNIGHT IMPLIED MOVE: 58pips

--- Written by Justin McQueen, Market Analyst

To contact Justin, email him at Justin.mcqueen@ig.com

Follow Justin on Twitter @JMcQueenFX

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES