News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
EUR/USD
Bullish
Oil - US Crude
Bullish
Wall Street
Bullish
Gold
Bullish
GBP/USD
Mixed
USD/JPY
Bullish
More View more
Real Time News
  • What is seasonal change in volatility. Are we going through one right now? Find out: https://t.co/G0qfpOmMl2 https://t.co/WfxEHnGobD
  • 🇰🇷 Business Confidence (SEP) Actual: 68 Previous: 66 https://www.dailyfx.com/economic-calendar#2020-09-28
  • Forex Update: As of 20:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: 🇬🇧GBP: 0.68% 🇦🇺AUD: 0.63% 🇨🇭CHF: 0.49% 🇳🇿NZD: 0.11% 🇨🇦CAD: 0.11% 🇯🇵JPY: 0.07% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#currencies https://t.co/IsJQn29Zao
  • Heads Up:🇰🇷 Business Confidence (SEP) due at 21:00 GMT (15min) Previous: 66 https://www.dailyfx.com/economic-calendar#2020-09-28
  • Commodities Update: As of 20:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: Silver: 3.39% Gold: 1.07% Oil - US Crude: 0.01% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#commodities https://t.co/CrlmkhjxrC
  • IG Client Sentiment Update: Our data shows the vast majority of traders in Ripple are long at 96.82%, while traders in Germany 30 are at opposite extremes with 63.84%. See the summary chart below and full details and charts on DailyFX: https://www.dailyfx.com/sentiment https://t.co/SsckRDHj4I
  • Poll: The $SPX and other US indices enjoyed a nice bounce this past session to ease fears of an imminent avalanche, but this could also be a 'relief' in anticipation of a bigger event: Tuesday's Presidential debate. Do you believe this debate matters to the markets?
  • After an explosive start to the summer, the silver price rally has come to a screeching halt as the seasons have changed to the fall. Get your $XAG market update from @CVecchioFX here:https://t.co/aMPCW8dkla https://t.co/p1nzWwmtAb
  • Indices Update: As of 20:00, these are your best and worst performers based on the London trading schedule: FTSE 100: 0.02% Wall Street: 0.02% Germany 30: 0.02% US 500: 0.01% France 40: -0.11% View the performance of all markets via https://www.dailyfx.com/forex-rates#indices https://t.co/QTIL1lfFBU
  • Commodities Update: NYM WTI Crude 40.64 (+0.97%), ICE Brent Crude 42.49 (+1.36%), NYM NYH Gasoline 124.90 (+2.87%). [delayed]
Will Brazil Central Bank Pace FOMC, Cut Rates by 25 Basis Points?

Will Brazil Central Bank Pace FOMC, Cut Rates by 25 Basis Points?

2019-07-31 03:00:00
Dimitri Zabelin, Analyst
Share:

BRAZIL CENTRAL BANK, SELIC RATE, PENSION REFORMS, FOMC – TALKING POINTS

  • Brazilian Real and Ibovespa brace for Banco do Brasil Selic rate decision
  • Will Brazil central bank copy the FOMC and cut rates by 25 basis points?
  • Traders eyeing second-round vote in lower house next week on pension bill

See our free guide to learn how to use economic news in your trading strategy!

The Brazilian Real and Ibovespa will be in a for turbulent day as Banco do Brasil and the Fed prepare to announce their respective rate decisions. Markets are currently pricing in a 25 basis-point cut from both. Brazil has been struggling with sluggish growth amid a slowing global economy and uncertainty about the future of the market-disrupting pension reforms.

Earlier this month, the lower house of Congress approved the pension bill in a first-round vote and sent the Brazilian Real and Ibovespa soaring. Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro recently announced that a second-round of voting will take place next week before eventually advancing to the Senate. Economy Minister Paulo Guedes said that passage of the bill is essential to ensuring financial stability and staving off a recession.

Brazil Interest Rate Futures Indicate Investors are Piling in Rate Cut Bets

Chart Showing Brazil Interest Rate Futures

The sheer economic magnitude of the bill is the reason why political oscillations pertaining to the reforms are frequently reflected in financial market volatility, namely in BRL and the benchmark Ibovespa equity index. Perception about how the structural reforms are proceeding has also impacted sentiment, adding to the list of ailments including industrial underutilization and tepid inflation that may now require a monetary boost.

Read the most recent COPOM meeting minutes here!

As such, Banco do Brasil will likely cut the benchmark Selic rate from its historically low level at 6.50 percent to 6.25 percent. Brazil’s pivot from neutral to dovish is part of a global trend of central banks shifting to accommodative monetary policy as the global economic outlook continues to get “worse and worse” to quote ECB President Mario Draghi.

The Fed is leading this trend as it reverses its rate hike cycle and pivots to more dovish inclinations after a period of neutrality. Overnight index swaps are pricing in an 82 percent probability of a 25 basis-point rate cut with the remaining 18 percent pricing in a 50bp one. But, even with a rate cut, the US Dollar may rise if Fed commentary spooks markets and overwhelms optimism from the prospect of looser credit conditions.

Sign up here for live coverage of the FOMC rate decision!

BRL TRADING RESOURCES

--- Written by Dimitri Zabelin, Jr Currency Analyst for DailyFX.com

To contact Dimitri, use the comments section below or @ZabelinDimitrion Twitter

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES