News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Wall Street
Mixed
Gold
Mixed
GBP/USD
Bearish
USD/JPY
Bullish
More View more
Real Time News
  • The ISM manufacturing index plays an important role in forex trading, with ISM data influencing currency prices globally. Learn about the importance of the ISM manufacturing index here: https://t.co/Xr3xtoFpZy https://t.co/7oqC3ykBbU
  • Traders utilize varying time frames to speculate in the forex market. The two most common are long- and short-term-time frames which transmits through to trend and trigger charts. Learn more about time-frame analysis here: https://t.co/9S5tXIs3SX https://t.co/IgUIG55MbH
  • Supply constraints, rebounding global demand and rising inflation expectations may drive crude oil prices higher in the near term. Get your market update from @DanielGMoss here: https://t.co/ezPoAwcJt7 https://t.co/NMfk1cYSvE
  • Take a closer look visually at the most influential global importers and exporters here: https://t.co/G58J1dg6y3 https://t.co/OiRiBVeuzL
  • Crude Oil Prices Aiming Higher on OPEC Surprise, Inflation Expectations - https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/forecast/weekly/title/2021/03/06/Crude-Oil-Prices-Aiming-Higher-on-OPEC-Surprise-Inflation-Expectations.html?CHID=9&QPID=917708&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Moss&utm_campaign=twr $CL #Crudeoil #OOTT #OPEC https://t.co/AKvXWX9DLQ
  • Given the size of the rally in the eleven months preceding the beginning of the current decline a broader sell-off looks warranted. Get your market update from @PaulRobinsonFX here: https://t.co/UxZiSulpwB https://t.co/raXvlzkGbV
  • Greed is a natural human emotion that affects individuals to varying degrees. Unfortunately, when viewed in the context of trading, greed has proven to be a hindrance more often than it has assisted traders. Learn how to control greed in trading here: https://t.co/kODPAfJE79 https://t.co/lp0tmKS9WR
  • Trading bias allows traders to make informative decisions when dealing in the market. This relates to both novice and experienced traders alike. Start learning how you may be able to make more informed decisions here: https://t.co/rz7fqhRoMG https://t.co/3bOSIBeID9
  • Rising yields and US Dollar creates a weak environment for gold, which trades at a 9-month low. Get your market update from @JMcQueenFX here: https://t.co/lh6Qb2qxin https://t.co/MRAYe57e1A
  • RT @FxWestwater: US Dollar Fundamental Forecast: US Dollar Eyes Inflation Data After NFP Boost Link: https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/forecast/weekly/usd/2021/03/06/US-Dollar-Fundamental-Forecast-US-Dollar-Eyes-Inflation-Data-after-NFP-Boost.html?CHID=9&QPID=917708&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Westwater&utm_campaign=twr $DXY https://…
NZDUSD Uptrend Holds as RBNZ Fails to Excite August Rate Cut Bets

NZDUSD Uptrend Holds as RBNZ Fails to Excite August Rate Cut Bets

Daniel Dubrovsky, Strategist

NZDUSD, RBNZ Talking Points

  • New Zealand Dollar uptrend holds on RBNZ rate hold
  • August rate cut bets already seemed heavily priced in
  • Technical signals, trader positioning tilt bullish for now

Trade all the major global economic data live as it populates in the economic calendar and follow the live coverage for key events listed in the DailyFX Webinars. We’d love to have you along.

NZDUSD Uptrend Intact as RBNZ Leaves Rates Unchanged

The New Zealand Dollar held onto its near-term uptrend against the US Dollar after the RBNZ left rates unchanged at 1.50 percent in June as expected. Heading into the meeting, overnight index swaps were pricing in about a 25% probability of a rate cut with around a 75% chance of it happening in August instead.

With such aggressive anticipation of a rate cut in a couple of months, it appeared as though the central bank failed to significantly add fuel to those bets. On the 5-minute chart below, we can see that NZDUSD declined initially on the announcement, but it then retraced its steps and finished a little higher.

Some of this may have been due to the hold itself. According to the statement, “the Committee discussed the merits of lowering the OCR at this meeting”. Instead, they noted that a lower rate may be needed over time. As such, this likely disappointed near-term dovish expectations while failing to significantly fuel more ahead.

However, they did mention that the global economic outlook “has weakened” and that downside risks related to trade activity “have intensified”. This is likely referring to the risk of an escalation in US-China trade tensions, placing the focus for the sentiment-linked NZDUSD on this week’s G20 summit in Japan.

NZDUSD 5-Minute Chart Reaction to RBNZ

NZDUSD Uptrend Holds as RBNZ Fails to Excite August Rate Cut Bets

Chart Created in TradingView

NZDUSD Technical Analysis

NZDUSD prices are sitting right under a key range of resistance between 0.6664 and 0.6682. This follows a retest of support at 0.6482 on June 14, paving the way for what could be a Double Bottom which is a bullish reversal pattern. If resistance breaks apart, that could be a warning sign of an extended uptrend ahead.

This is accompanied by bullish-contrarian price signals that IG Client Positioning is showing on the New Zealand Dollar. If net-long positioning continues to fade, this may exacerbate gains in NZDUSD. Join me every week on Wednesday’s at 00:00 GMT as I discuss how you can use this in your own trading strategy.

NZDUSD Daily Chart

NZDUSD Uptrend Holds as RBNZ Fails to Excite August Rate Cut Bets

Chart Created in TradingView

New Zealand Dollar Trading Resources

--- Written by Daniel Dubrovsky, Currency Analyst for DailyFX.com

To contact Daniel, use the comments section below or @ddubrovskyFX on Twitter

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES