EURUSD Price Slips Back After Ifo Index Disappoints
What's on this page
EUR price, news and analysis:
- The business climate in Germany deteriorated unexpectedly in April, according to the Ifo Institute.
- That added to the evidence that the German economy is spluttering and weakened EURUSD.
German economy loses steam
EURUSD fell back Wednesday after the German Ifo Institute reported that its business climate index dropped to 99.2 in April from a revised 99.7 in March. An increase to 99.9 had been predicted by economists.
Moreover, its current assessment index and its expectations measure both missed expectations too, prompting Ifo to say that economic growth in Germany is likely to be weaker than the 0.8% forecast, with the industrial sector dragging the economy lower. “The German economy continues to lose steam,” Ifo President Clemens Fuest said in a statement.
In response, EURUSD weakened for the second successive session, extending the decline recorded over the past week.
EURUSD Price Chart, 30-Minute Timeframe (April 17-24, 2019)
Chart by IG (You can click on it for a larger image)
Resources to help you trade the forex markets:
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
--- Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.