US Dollar Price Continues to Stabilize But Next Move Could be Lower
USD price, news and analysis:
- The US Dollar is more stable after its sharp fall last Wednesday.
- However, fears of a US recession and the prospect of lower US interest rates could lead to a resumption of its downward move.
US Dollar may come under more downward pressure
USD is looking more stable after its drop last Wednesday on persistent fears of a US recession and the prospect of an interest rate cut later this year. However, the path of least resistance looks to be for further losses.
Last Wednesday’s Dollar decline was caused principally by a dovish Federal Reserve. Fed Chair Jerome Powell said US interest rates could be on hold for some time as global risks weigh on the economic outlook and inflation remains muted. That led to the markets calculating the chances of a rate cut at 65.5% by year-end, according to the CME FedWatch tool.
Target rate probabilities by December 11 Fed meeting
That, in turn, reflected worries about the lack of US growth, emphasized by an inversion of the US yield curve for the first time since 2007, with the yield on 10-year US Treasuries – currently 2.439% – below the yield on three-months Treasury debt, now at 2.459%. A yield curve inversion is seen by some as a harbinger of recession.
US Treasury Yield Curve (March 26, 2019)
Meanwhile, concerns about the US-China trade dispute persist ahead of a meeting of the two sides this coming Thursday and this could all mean further USD losses in due course, benefiting currencies like the Japanese Yen and the Euro.
EURUSD Price Chart, Hourly Timeframe (March 20-26, 2019)
Chart by IG (You can click on it for a larger image)
More to read
Resources to help you trade the forex markets:
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
--- Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.