USD price, news and analysis:
- The USD price is weakening further: down Monday on news of a US-China trade war ceasefire, down Tuesday on misgivings that a long-term deal can be agreed.
- That may be because the US Treasury yield curve has flattened and partly inverted, seen by some as a harbinger of recession.
USD Price Still Under Downward Pressure
The USD price is easing again Tuesday as doubts emerge that a long-term US-China trade war deal can be reached after slipping back Monday on news of a temporary truce. US President Donald Trump and China President Xi Jinping have decided to hold off from imposing new tariffs for 90 days while they negotiate an agreement.
However, concerns surfaced Tuesday about whether a long-term agreement is achievable. That might have been expected to give the US Dollar a lift given its status as a safe haven when risk aversion rises. Instead, it dropped again, implying that other forces are influencing it too.
EURUSD Price Chart, Daily Timeframe (August 27 – December 4, 2018)
Chart by IG Click on the chart for a larger image
As the chart of EURUSD above shows, the pair is extending its gains as the US Dollar weakens and from a technical perspective has broken to the upside from a triangle pattern, implying further gains are now possible.
That could be in part because the US Treasury yield curve has flattened and partly inverted.
US Yield Curve Chart
The curve is now flatter than it was both a month ago and a year ago, while the curve has inverted between two years and five years, sometimes seen as a warning of a possible recession that would lead to lower US interest rates and reduce the attractions of the Dollar.
While this seems unlikely at present, it perhaps suggests that the outlook for USD is less positive than it seemed as recently as Monday.
More to read:
Resources to help you trade the forex markets:
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
--- Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor