Gold price, news and analysis:
- Retail trader positioning data show that 82% of traders are net-long gold while only 18% are net-short.
- A contrarian view of crowd sentiment suggests that the outlook is therefore bearish.
Bearish signal for gold price
Retail traders are heavily net-long gold, according to the latest positioning data. At DailyFX, we typically take a contrarian view of crowd sentiment and that means the outlook for the gold price is bearish.
From a fundamental perspective, gold is off its near-term highs on a firm US Dollar, jitters ahead of an important speech by Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell at the Economic Club of New York later Wednesday and the upcoming meeting of US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 meeting that begins Friday in Argentina.
Gold Price Chart, 30-Minute Timeframe (November 13-28, 2018)
Technically too the outlook is not too positive, although the gold price has stabilized Wednesday after its falls Tuesday.
More to read:
Resources to help you trade the forex markets
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
--- Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor