EURUSD price, news and analysis:
- EURUSD is well placed technically to make further gains.
- However, that technical strength was only partly reinforced Thursday by mixed reports on the Eurozone economy from the European Commission and the European Central Bank.
EURUSD technical analysis
EURUSD remains in the uptrend that has been in place since the end of last month and, despite losses late Wednesday, is well positioned to climb higher within the rising channel that has taken it from a low of 1.1302 on October 31 to its current level around 1.1425.
EURUSD Price Chart, Hourly Timeframe (October 31 – November 8, 2018)
Despite continuing concerns about the dispute between Italy and the EU over the Italian budget, a rally back towards channel resistance above 1.15 is now possible and the downside should be limited near-term by channel support just above 1.14 and then at the 1.1302 October 31 low.
Traders looking to buy the pair might therefore wish to take profits if the 1.15 level is reached and place a stop at 1.13 to limit losses in case the price slides lower.
European Commission forecasts
Fundamentally, the outlook for the Eurozone economy is mixed according to reports issued Thursday by the European Commission and the European Central Bank, which remains on course to tighten Eurozone monetary policy in due course.
The Commission forecast that Eurozone economic growth will reach 2.1% this year but will then ease to 1.9% next year and 1.7% in 2020. The Commission is concerned about US economic policies and Brexit, as well as Italy’s spending plans.
ECB Economic Bulletin
However, the ECB, in its latest Economic Bulletin, was more upbeat in its forecasts for the Eurozone economy. In a report that is essentially positive for the Euro, the Eurozone’s central bank said “the incoming information that has become available since the Governing Council’s monetary policy meeting in September, while somewhat weaker than expected, remains overall consistent with an ongoing broad-based expansion of the Euro area economy and gradually rising inflation pressures.”
Resources to help you trade the forex markets
Whether you are a new or an experienced trader, at DailyFX we have many resources to help you:
- Analytical and educational webinars hosted several times per day,
- Trading guides to help you improve your trading performance,
- A guide specifically for those who are new to forex,
- And you can learn how to trade like an expert by reading our guide to the Traits of Successful Traders.
--- Written by Martin Essex, Analyst and Editor