News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Wall Street
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Gold
Bearish
GBP/USD
Bullish
USD/JPY
Bearish
More View more
Real Time News
  • #Bitcoin Tumbles Amid Xinjiang Blackout, Possible US Treasury Investigation - https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market_alert/2021/04/19/Bitcoin-Tumbles-Amid-Xinjiang-Blackout-Possible-US-Treasury-Investigation.html?CHID=9&QPID=917708&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Moss&utm_campaign=twr $BTC https://t.co/zs4eQVrKEP
  • 🇯🇵 Balance of Trade (MAR) Actual: ¥663.7B Expected: ¥490B Previous: ¥215.9B https://www.dailyfx.com/economic-calendar#2021-04-18
  • Trading Forex is not a shortcut to instant wealth, excessive leverage can magnify losses, and sentiment is a powerful indicator. Learn about these principles in depth here: https://t.co/lZFM8yG5lv https://t.co/j7No5uPhYF
  • 9 out of 11 S&P 500 sectors ended higher, with 70.9% of the index’s constituents closing in the green. Materials (+1.18%), utilities (+0.81%) and consumer discretionary (+0.78%) were among the best performers, while energy (-0.90%) and information technology (-0.03%) lagged. https://t.co/2qbzKRyx2B
  • 9 out of 11 S&P 500 sectors ended higher, with 70.9% of the index’s constituents closing in the green. Materials (+1.18%), utilities (+0.81%) and consumer discretionary (+0.78%) were among the best performers, while energy (-0.90%) and information technology (-0.03%) lagged. https://t.co/uAt7OhZvYM
  • There's no question about it, trading brings about much emotion. Knowing how to control emotions while trading can prove to be the difference between success and failure. Learn more about managing emotion in trading here: https://t.co/FC7CHp2y70 https://t.co/UvcEzMKGmI
  • What are some key takeaways for trading gold? Get your free insight here: https://t.co/lnxaQOsgid https://t.co/GOBTKkCEKh
  • *Reminder: Weekly Strategy Webinar Monday morning at 8:30am ET (12:30GMT) on DailyFX - https://t.co/lxd5fZ5LG7 Mid-Weekly Technical Update on Wednesday at 9:30am ET (13:30GMT) with IG - https://t.co/8SFBJxwo30
  • Forex trading, which is the act of exchanging fiat currencies, is thought to be centuries old – dating back to the Babylonian period. Learn about the history of Forex here: https://t.co/1ZR5OCfY3u https://t.co/NMiJrp6wmP
  • Brush up your knowledge on trade-wars with this tool from DailyFX research briefly outlining trade-war history dating back to the early 1900s here: https://t.co/bZEFtoQJgE https://t.co/RT9Z4K8xCy
British Pound Slightly Lower on Dovish BoE, Markets not Surprised

British Pound Slightly Lower on Dovish BoE, Markets not Surprised

Oded Shimoni, Junior Currency Analyst

Talking Points:

- BOE keeps rates unchanged at 0.50% by a unanimous decision (9-0).

- Inflation projected at 1.2% at Q1 2017, down from 1.5%.

- GBP-crosses traded sideways to lower around the announcement.

Find Key Turning Points for the British Pound with DailyFX SSI

The British Pound traded slightly lower versus other major currencies (at the time this report was written) after today’s BoE rate decision saw interest rates unchanged at 0.50%, as was expected by economists. The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) voted unanimously 9-0 to maintain the Bank rate at 0.50%. Ian McCafferty, who was the only member opting for a rate hike since August 2015, dropped his vote for a rate increase. The MPC also voted unanimously to maintain QE bond purchase at a total of £375b billion.

As the decision was highly expected, the focus turned to the meeting’s vote count followed by the minutes and the publication of the quarterly Inflation Report. The fact that McCafferty dropped his vote for a rate increase seems to paint a more dovish picture on the BoE’s outlook going forward. Looking into the Minutes statement, the MPC emphasized effect of the slide in oil prices, volatility in global equities and commodities, and China’s slowdown. The MPC commented that risks to the central projection are skewed a little to the downside in the near term, reflecting the possibility of greater persistence of low inflation.

Coming into today, the UK CPI readings, which was 0.2% in December, has been far below from meeting the central bank’s inflation target of 2%. With the slide in oil prices from the start of the year, the bank previously commented that the 2016’s forecast will probably be cut again. The quarterly Inflation Report said the BoE see inflation, at 1.2% in Q1 2017, down from a projection of 1.5% from November’s Inflation Report. The Central bank sees inflation at 2.05% in two years time, slightly above target.

As was mentioned today by DailyFX Currency Strategist Ilya Spivak, the markets have positioned for a dovish outcome; Overnight index swaps (OIS) has dropped to the lowest level since May 2013, with the baseline view of a 64% probability that rates remain unchanged and a 36% probability of a 25 bps cut by February 2017. Up until very recently the central bank was considered likely to raise rates in 2016. Is seems the markets perception was largely in line with the meetings outcome, so the British Pound saw only a slight negative reaction.

Chart 1: GBP/USD 5-minute Chart (Intraday): February 4, 2016

British Pound Slightly Lower on Dovish BoE, Markets not Surprised

Missed today's Bank of England meeting? Watch the webinar archive of today's live event coverage with Currency Strategist Christopher Vecchio.

-- Written by Oded Shimoni, DailyFX Research

To contact Oded, email him at instructor@dailyfx.com

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES