- ECB Cuts Deposit Rate to -0.10%; Benchmark Rate to 0.15%
- Euro Falls Against its Major Peers On Announcement
- ECB President Mario Draghi Holds Press Conference at 12:30 GMT, May Spark Volatility
The European Central Bank (ECB) went beyond a standard refinancing rate cut, cutting its deposit rate to negative territory for the first time in history. DailyFX Currency Analyst says the negative deposit rate would impact around €100B; prompt enhanced forward guidance with promise for future action; and liquidity measures aimed at helping small- and medium-sized enterprises (similar to the Bank of England's FLS).
Early in May the central bank threatened to loosen policy further, provoking a sharp sell-off in the single-currency. Today they made good on their word introducing rate cuts introduced as a measure to lift ultralow inflation and help euro zone’s already fragile economy.
ECB Draghi press conference (at 12:30 GMT) may provide more clarity on the decision, and help to provide a broader outlook in the single currency.
[ECB Draghi headlines, updated after press conference]
- ECB decided on combination of measures. Introduces QE and unveils package of target LTROS. Package includes preparations for ABS purchases. ECB extends fixed rate full allotment, suspends SMP Sterilization.
- Considers non-standard tools within mandate.
- ECB ready to act swiftly if needed. Council unanimous on using further instruments.
- ECB sees 2014 GDP Growth of 1% vs 1.2%; 2015 GDP Growth of 1.7% vs 1.5%; 2016 GDP Growth 2016 1.8% vs 1.8%.
- ECB Draghi says inflation was lower than expected, sees inflation at low levels in coming months. ECB cuts inflation forecast. 2014 CPI at 0.7% vs 1%; 2015 CPI at 1.1% vs 1.3%; 2016 CPI at 1.4% vs 1.5%.
- ECB monitoring exchange-rate developments closely. ECB Draghi says balance sheet adjustment of key importance, urges banks to improve capital, solvency position.
- For all practical purposes the ECB is at lower rate bound.
- Banks will have additional reporting requirements, will check how new funds are used.
- Rates may stay low longer than previously foreseen. Low interest rates will feed into money market, FX.
- ECB wants to ensure low rates trasmitted to firms.
- Draghi says Difficult to say when impact of TLTRO will Appear
- Low inflation due to Food, Energy, Weak Demand
Chart Prepared using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
-- Written by David Maycotte, DailyFX Research Team. Questions, comments or concerns can be sent to dmaycotte@FXCM.com.
Want to trade with proprietary strategies developed by FXCM? Find out how with Mirror Trader.