BOE says Rate Decision Becoming More Balanced, GBP/USD Eyes 2014 High
The Bank of England Minutes from May 8-9 meeting prompted a pronounced British Pound advance versus the US dollar. The fundamental developments coming out of the U.K. raise the prospect for a stronger economic recovery.
Headlines from the BOE Minutes are as follows.
- Rate decision becoming ‘more balanced’ for some MPC. Key Rate likely to rise only gradually.
- Low rates increase risk of financial imbalances.
- There has been ‘modest tightening’ in monetary conditions.
- Inflation moving closer to 2% in coming months. British Pound strength to put downward pressure on CPI
- MPC has range of views on company, labor slack
- Looking through temporary impact of FX rate
- Risks from Ukraine tensions and China credit growth.
The British Pound rallied following the release of the minutes, and currently faces resistance. “A resistance zone is seen at 1.6870-1.6902,” says DailyFX Strategist Jamie Saettele, “a break of the line that extends off the November and February lows is needed to more confidently signal that a top is in place.”
GBP/USD Daily Chart from GBP/USD Retraces Half of Decline; Don’t Forget about 1.6902.
Chart Prepared by Jamie Saettele, CMT using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
-- Written by David Maycotte, DailyFX Research Team. Questions, comments or concerns can be sent to email@example.com.
Want to trade with proprietary strategies developed by FXCM? Find out how with Mirror Trader.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.