News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site. See our updated Privacy Policy here.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Bullish
Wall Street
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Gold
Bullish
GBP/USD
Mixed
USD/JPY
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
More View more
Real Time News
  • The Nasdaq 100 index has likely formed a bearish Gartley pattern, which hints at further downside potential. Negative MACD divergence on the weekly chart suggests that upward momentum may be fading. Get your market update from @margaretyjy here: https://t.co/GkMEkVA7YR https://t.co/E1vyCMVt6K
  • Struggling to define key levels? Floor-Trader Pivots assist traders in identifying areas in a chart where price is likely to approach and can be used to set appropriate targets, while effectively managing risk. Learn how to use this indicator here: https://t.co/Ye4m1G4lMu https://t.co/2TpkkUu7Hg
  • Tesla boss Elon Musk is seemingly running the cryptocurrency market single-handed this week with his tweets prompting a massive sell-off before today’s sharp rally. Get your market update from @nickcawley1 here: https://t.co/qGci02osOP https://t.co/Yp24Sakrfl
  • What suits your style of trading stocks or commodities? Find out what are the differences in these two markets here: https://t.co/BnA07cMV0s https://t.co/LDP3HlN4A3
  • GBP/USD on the front foot to close the week. Bulls aim for YTD peak, while EUR/GBP range is maintained. Get your market update from @JMcQueenFX here: https://t.co/neGBchlJ0O https://t.co/KME51FSF0D
  • What's the difference between leading and lagging indicators? Find out from here: https://t.co/vGx8HCrRwD https://t.co/7w5jodyzj0
  • Dealing with the fear of missing out – or FOMO – is a highly valuable skill for traders. Not only can FOMO have a negative emotional impact, it can cloud judgment and overshadow logic. Learn how you can control FOMO in your trading here: https://t.co/lgDf5cVYOn https://t.co/L3LPCph2ST
  • Make smart trading decisions with your free guide to trade the news. Download your free guide here.https://t.co/pb5E2KgRzW #DailyFXGuides https://t.co/ysxKO30ZWw
  • Currency exchange rates are impacted by several factors. Are different world leaders a contributing factor? Find out here: https://t.co/4jsORznRTE https://t.co/5nHxtlZ7nn
  • Risk management is one of the most important aspects of successful trading, but is often overlooked. What are some basic principles or risk management? Find out from @PaulRobinsonFX here: https://t.co/IsnpfJhp91 https://t.co/lqpXwWjVFt
US Dollar Seems to be Biased Upward on FOMC Rate Decision

US Dollar Seems to be Biased Upward on FOMC Rate Decision

Ilya Spivak, Head Strategist, APAC
DXY Price Chart

US DOLLAR FORECAST: NEUTRAL

  • US Dollar marches higher as markets trim FOMC rate cut bets
  • Market pricing may still be more dovish than the Fed endorses
  • ISM, payrolls data unlikely to overshadow central bank impact

See the latest US Dollar technical and fundamental forecast to find out what will drive prices in Q3!

The US Dollar marched steadily higher last week, tracking a shift away from dovish extremes on rate futures-implied Fed monetary policy expectations. The measured rise was only briefly interrupted by event-driven volatility – like the seesaw swings immediately after the ECB rate decision – but the conviction behind it never appeared to waver.

Pre-positioning ahead of next week’s fateful FOMC monetary policy announcement probably explains such purposeful recovery. The markets appeared to have run out of room to price in an ever-more accommodative Fed policy outcomes. That made for asymmetrically high risk of a less dovish central bank than asset price levels presumed. Some portfolio rebalancing was apparently in order.

US DOLLAR SEEMS BIASED UPWARD AFTER FOMC RATE DECISION

As it stands, the markets put the probability of a 25bps rate cut at 83 percent, while the chance of a 50bps reduction is at 17 percent. Tellingly, that leaves no room for an on-hold scenario yet clearly leans in favor of the smaller adjustment. A survey of recent economic data as well as commentary from Fed officials seems to support just such a result.

This likely means that the announcement’s market-moving potential will come from the accompanying statement as well as the follow-on press conference with Chair Powell rather than the rate change itself. Traders will use the tone of the rhetoric in both for guidance on whether further stimulus expansion is on the menu in the near term.

For their part, investors see the likelihood of further easing before year-end at a commanding 90 percent. A relatively even chance is being assigned to 50bps or 75bps of additional easing (34.4 and 37.9 percent, respectively). Coupled with the end of quantitative tightening – the Fed’s balance sheet reduction scheme – this amounts to expectations of a rather dramatic policy shift in a very short time span.

Once again, this seems to make the risk of a less-dovish outcome greater than the alternative. By extension, this means that the likelihood of a stronger US Dollar in the announcement’s aftermath is greater than that of a weaker one. Follow-on ISM and payrolls data may fractionally alter the weekly result one way or the other, but the Fed will probably have the defining say on where prices are headed.

--- Written by Ilya Spivak, Sr. Currency Strategist for DailyFX.com

To contact Ilya, use the comments section below or @IlyaSpivakon Twitter

US DOLLAR TRADING RESOURCES

OTHER FUNDAMENTAL FORECASTS:

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES