We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

Free Trading Guides
EUR/USD
Bullish
GBP/USD
Bullish
USD/JPY
Bullish
Gold
Mixed
Oil - US Crude
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Bitcoin
Bullish
More View more
Real Time News
  • Greed has proven to be a hindrance more than assistance for traders. How does greed impact your trading? Find out from @RichardSnowFX here: https://t.co/aT8TZjlFqP https://t.co/C4vrTm69sE
  • Central bank independence has several advantages and disadvantages. Find out what they are in-depth with @MartinSEssex here: https://t.co/wVFXbbTxf1 https://t.co/WkwZK6wtzy
  • The $GBPUSD may be carving out a 4-year bearish candlestick pattern as the $EURGBP downtrend prolongs. GBP/JPY may rise but be wary of #Brexit risks clouding technical analysis. Get your GBP market update from @ddubrovskyFX here: https://t.co/wzV4fygKWe https://t.co/hpDmrh0LLo
  • Get your technical setups for the British Pound ahead of the key #Brexit vote in Parliament this weekend here $GBPUSD $EURGBP $GBPJPY - https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/technical/article/fx_technical_weekly/2019/10/19/GBPUSD-EURGBP-GBPJPY-Technical-Analysis-Amid-Brexit-Deal-Vote.html?CHID=9&QPID=917702 https://t.co/TBdvAY6GN2
  • The Australian Dollar could reverse gains if #Brexit is forced to be delayed. Global growth slowdown woes and other fundamental risks may also undermine $AUDUSD upside progress. Get your $AUD market update from @ddubrovskyFX here: https://t.co/VAs2C3cpQj https://t.co/9mqJ0DSLZZ
  • Here is my trading video for the week ahead: '$EURUSD, #Pound, Volatility - The Biggest Risks and Opportunities Ahead' https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/daily_news_report/2019/10/19/EURUSD-Pound-Volatility---The-Biggest-Risks-and-Opportunities-Ahead-.html
  • $GBPUSD is on the verge of pushing above five-year resistance. A break above with follow-through may precede considerable upside movement. Get your GBP/USD market update from @ZabelinDimitri here: https://t.co/0qfh7TRWJn https://t.co/GImIwuGodX
  • The $AUD may resume its downtrend while the #ASX 200 stock index powers higher as dovish monetary policy drives interest rates lower. Get your market update from @IlyaSpivak here: https://t.co/UPlHZrt6c2 https://t.co/EIIf9xackw
  • (Fundamental Forecast) Australian Dollar Could Wilt if Brexit Delayed, Growth Risks Hang $AUDUSD #Brexit - https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/forecast/weekly/aud/2019/10/19/Australian-Dollar-Could-Wilt-if-Brexit-Delayed-Growth-Risks-Hang.html?CHID=9&QPID=917702 https://t.co/2aOYhblN3g
  • The $USD faces selling pressure against the Malaysian Ringgit and Philippine Peso. More losses may be in store in $USDMYR as $USDPHP descends through rising support from 2013. Get your market update from @ddubrovskyFX here: https://t.co/t3kmFpmg1w https://t.co/miBrgxmtkA
Will Wheeler Pose a Rate Cut Now or Wait Until November?

Will Wheeler Pose a Rate Cut Now or Wait Until November?

2016-09-16 22:48:00
James Stanley, Currency Strategist
Share:
Will Wheeler Pose a Rate Cut Now or Wait Until November?

Fundamental Forecast for the New Zealand Dollar: Neutral

To receive James Stanley’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE

When the RBNZ cut the overnight cash rate in August, few probably would’ve expected what would happen next. While making the cut, RBNZ Governor Graeme Wheeler even indicated that more cuts could be in the cards should oncoming data support it; so this reduction was even accompanied with a dovish backdrop from the head of the RBNZ. But in the days following that rate move, the Kiwi continued to rally higher, moving in the exact opposite direction of what the RBNZ was likely looking for when cutting rates.

This puts the RBNZ in a difficult spot, and could give the bank some additional motivation to kick rates lower again at their upcoming meeting; although this may be a bit presumptuous given that incoming data out of New Zealand hasn’t really been bad enough to warrant rate cuts at two consecutive meetings in two short months. At this point, markets are pricing in less than a 25% chance of a cut at next week’s meeting; and more likely, we’ll probably hear some talking down of the currency rate by Mr. Wheeler as he notes the potential for another cut at their next rate decision on November 9th.

Thickening the drama is the timing of this meeting, as it takes place less than 24 hours after a widely-awaited Bank of Japan rate decision and less than two hours after Chair Yellen of the Federal Reserve finishes the press conference for their interest rate decision. Each of these can have an impact on the RBNZ’s economic outlook given how critical trends in either of those currencies can impact trade and capital flows between these economies and New Zealand: So this is just more reason for the bank to wait to pose another move on rates until later in the year.

November becomes more likely for a potential rate cut as this is when the bank will also be releasing inflation expectations; and this also gives the bank more time to evaluate data in response to the most recent cut in August. The big driver for the Kiwi will likely be how dovish the bank appears considering that the Kiwi-Dollar is trading very near an annual high. So while the RBNZ will likely try to talk this down, it looks more probable that any actual rate cuts may be waiting until November the 9th.

Because of this, we’re going to hold a neutral forecast on the New Zealand Dollar for the week ahead, with a warning of caution around this upcoming RBNZ meeting as the bank will be making the announcement in what could be extremely volatile market conditions in the wake of FOMC.

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES

News & Analysis at your fingertips.