News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Bearish
Oil - US Crude
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Wall Street
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Gold
Bearish
GBP/USD
Mixed
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
USD/JPY
Bearish
More View more
Real Time News
  • The final ‘full’ week of the year brings about the last wave of significant event risk from around the globe, including three central bank rate decisions (Fed, BOE, & BOJ). Get your market update from @CVecchioFX here:https://t.co/PhqxSPlngI https://t.co/XX57vSjQwV
  • Greed is a natural human emotion that affects individuals to varying degrees. Unfortunately, when viewed in the context of trading, greed has proven to be a hindrance more often than it has assisted traders. Learn how to control greed in trading here: https://t.co/kODPAfJE79 https://t.co/HOvzuOICQx
  • Ever wonder if there are other chart types that can be sued for technical analysis? HLOC charts are discussed in the following article as well as their pros and cons. Learn more here: https://t.co/qV3c7a4YR3 https://t.co/32hYzqhuZ9
  • The Australian Dollar sits on the crossroads of Treasury yields, the S&P 500 and US fiscal stimulus expectations. Will $AUDUSD gains slow? Chinese Q4 GDP and Australian jobs data are due. Get your market update from @ddubrovskyFX here: https://t.co/BsYmmWFYOH https://t.co/HhLqb2iVgk
  • #Gold prices have come under significant pressure to kick-off 2021. However, the formation of bullish technical patterns across multiple timeframes suggests that a rebound higher may be at hand. Get your market update from @DanielGMoss here: https://t.co/Dpf8N4Fh0T https://t.co/pnZpnM9yT5
  • The ISM manufacturing index plays an important role in forex trading, with ISM data influencing currency prices globally. Learn about the importance of the ISM manufacturing index here: https://t.co/Xr3xtoFpZy https://t.co/yCtLFemdNc
  • GBP underpinned as BoE downplays negative rates, alongside vaccine rollout. Get your market update from @JMcQueenFX here: https://t.co/n6V6uw0XV5 https://t.co/Toq2fxSdBE
  • Technical analysis of charts aims to identify patterns and market trends by utilizing differing forms of technical chart types and other chart functions. Learn about the top three technical analysis tools here: https://t.co/KDjIjLdTSk https://t.co/5VzSt5Ak7R
  • The Federal Reserve System (the Fed) was founded in 1913 by the United States Congress. The Fed’s actions and policies have a major impact on currency value, affecting many trades involving the US Dollar. Learn more about the Fed here: https://t.co/ADSC4sIHrP https://t.co/Jkv0onMyZw
  • Why is JPY called a safe haven? What are some factors in its favor this quarter? Get your free forecast here: https://t.co/mzeJ5x73N3 #DailyFXGuides https://t.co/S4bwgGZxmw
Australian Dollar Torn Between RBA Bets, Sentiment TrendsTitle

Australian Dollar Torn Between RBA Bets, Sentiment TrendsTitle

2016-05-14 02:52:00
Ilya Spivak, Head Strategist, APAC
Australian Dollar Torn Between RBA Bets, Sentiment TrendsTitleAustralian Dollar Torn Between RBA Bets, Sentiment TrendsTitle

Fundamental Forecast for the Australian Dollar: Neutral

  • Aussie Dollar may correct higher if jobs report tops forecasts
  • RBA meeting minutes to offer clues on further easing prospects
  • US CPI data may trigger risk aversion, weigh on Aussie Dollar

Check out the latest standings for the FXCM $10k trading contest HERE.

The Australian Dollar declined for a second consecutive week, falling to the lowest level since late February against its US counterpart. Follow-through is far from assured however as a docket of high-profile event risk threatens to disrupt momentum in the days ahead.

On the domestic front, April’s Employment report is in the spotlight. Expectations call for net increase of 12,000 jobs to mark a slowdown from the 26,100 gain recorded in the prior month. The unemployment rate is seen ticking higher to 5.8 percent from 5.7 percent previously.

Australian economic data has cautiously improved relative to consensus forecasts over recent weeks. Encouragingly, this has happened even as estimates edged upward, hinting at firming performance. Meanwhile, leading survey data is mildly encouraging, opening the door for an upside surprise.

This may weigh against interest rate cut speculation, helping the Aussie to correct upward. As it stands, traders price in at least 25 basis points in further easing and an 80 percent chance of 50 basis points in cuts over the coming 12 months. The implied probability of a rate reduction in June stands at 20 percent.

Minutes from May’s RBA policy meeting are also on tap. Traders will be keen to dig into the logic behind the central bank’s surprise reduction of the baseline cash rate to a record-low 1.75 percent as they try to decipher if the move was a precautionary one-off or the start of a larger easing cycle.

Externally, US CPI figures take top billing. The headline inflation rate is seen rising to 1.1 percent year-on-year while the core reading excluding energy and food ticks slightly down from 2.2 to 2.1 percent. Most interestingly, the headline versus core spread is due to shrink to a three-month low of 1 percent.

A narrowing gap between the broader and narrower inflation metrics lends credence to the Fed’s argument that transitory headwinds capping price growth will unwind, opening the door for a more hawkish policy stance. Evidence to this effect may boost near-term tightening bets.

The prospect of a more hawkish US central bank bodes ill for risk appetite at a time when investors seem increasingly concerned about a broad-based slowdown in global economic growth. As such, news-flow to that effect may send the sentiment-sensitive Aussie lower alongside share prices.

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES