Euro Price Outlook: EUR/USD Slumps into Range Support– Trade Levels
- Euro plummets into initial support hurdles- near-term risk is lower below the monthly open
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX EUR/USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Euro has plummeted against the US Dollar since the start of the month with price falling to multi-week range-lows today in New York trade. While the broader focus is still weighted to the topside, the near-term outlook remains vulnerable after reversing off longer-term slope resistance into the November open. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the EUR/USD price chart. Review my latest Weekly Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this Sterling price setup and more.
Euro Price Chart – EUR/USD Daily
Technical Outlook: In my latest EuroWeekly Price Outlook we noted that the EUR/USD, “breakout is testing the first resistance hurdle here and leaves the immediate advance vulnerable heading into next week.” Price posted an outside-day reversal off the monthly highs on Monday with the Euro plummeting nearly 1% early in the week. The decline takes price into initial support hurdles here at 1.1065 where the 25% line converges on the 38.2% retracement of the October advance.
A break lower from here exposes more significant support at the lower parallel near ~1.1030- a break / close below this threshold would be needed to shift the broader focus lower with such a scenario targeting 1.0994. Monthly open resistance stands at 1.1151 with 1.1187-1.1208 still critical.
Euro Price Chart – EUR/USD 120min
Notes: A closer look at Euro price action shows EUR/USD trading within the confines of a descending pitchfork formation extending off the highs. Initial resistance stands at 1.1123 backed by near-term bearish invalidation at the upper parallel around ~1.1150/60. A break below near-term support here at 1.1065 keeps the focus on a the highlighted trendline confluence near ~1.1020- look for a bigger reaction there IF reached.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: Euro remains vulnerable into the open of the month of the back of this reversal but ultimately, we’re looking for a larger setback to offer more favorable entries. From at trading standpoint, look for failure ahead of 1.1123 IF price is still heading lower – we’ll be tracking for downside exhaustion / long-entries on a stretch lower towards uptrend support.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Fount dations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Euro Trader Sentiment – EUR/USD Price Chart
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long EUR/USD - the ratio stands at +1.04 (50.88% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Long positions are 14.61% higher than yesterday and 5.65% higher from last week
- Short positions are7.26% lower than yesterday and 6.74% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes does give us a EUR/USD-bearish contrarian trading bias, from a sentiment standpoint – but it’s a weak one.
See how shifts in Euro retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Key Euro / US Data Releases
Economic Calendar - latest economic developments and upcoming event risk.
Active Trade Setups
- Gold Price Targets: XAU/USD Surges Towards Monthly High- GLD Outlook
- Aussie Price Outlook: Australian Dollar Breakdown Eyes Trend Support
- Gold Price Targets: XAU/USD Threatens Breakout- GLD Outlook
- US Dollar Price Outlook: USD Recovery Play – DXY Trade Levels
- Sterling Price Outlook: British Pound Tests 1.30– Cable Break or Bend
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.