Aussie Price Outlook: Australian Dollar Breakdown Eyes Trend Support
What's on this page
- Australian Dollar pullback targeting uptrend support- Focus is on pivot off 6800
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The Australian Dollar has is down more-than 0.3% against the US Dollar since the start of the week with Aussie now testing monthly uptrend support. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the AUD/USD price charts. Review my latest Weekly Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this Sterling price setup and more.
Australian Dollar Price Chart – AUD/USD Daily
Technical Outlook: In my latest Australian Dollar Price Outlook we noted that Aussie was approaching confluence resistance and to, “be on the lookout for possible exhaustion here but we’ll broadly favor fading weakness while above 6768…” AUD/USD reversed of confluence resistance at 6880 early in the week with the pullback now eyeing uptrend support at the 61.8% retracement near the 68-handle -note the highlighted trendline confluence just lower. Key resistance steady at 6880 with a breach / close above needed to fuel the next leg higher in price targeting 6927.
Australian Dollar Price Chart – AUD/USD 120min
Notes: A closer look at Aussie price action shows AUD/USD trading within the confines of a near-term ascending pitchfork formation extending off the monthly lows with price currently trading just above the lower parallel / key support at 6801/09- we’re looking for possible exhaustion down / pivot here. Initial resistance stands at 6833 with a breach targeting the weekly open at 6844 and the 61.8% retracement at 6855- look for a bigger reaction there IF reached with a close above needed to shift the focus back to the long-side. A break of this key pivot zone would suggest that a larger correction is underway with such a scenario risking a drop towards 6768.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: The Aussie pullback is testing monthly uptrend support and needs to hold the 68-pivot zone IF price is indeed heading higher. From at trading standpoint, look to reduce short-exposure / lower protective stops on a test of the lower parallel. We’ll be on the lookout for a possible exhaustion low while within this formation – favor fading weakness while above the figure. Review my latest Australian Dollar Weekly Outlook for a closer look at the longer-term USD/CAD technical trading levels.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Australian Dollar Trader Sentiment – AUD/USD Price Chart
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUD/USD - the ratio stands at -1.14 (53.27% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Long positions are 5.40% higher than yesterday and 9.52% lower from last week
- Short positions are10.88% lower than yesterday and 20.77% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUD/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are more net-long than yesterday but less net-long from last week and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed AUD/USD trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in AUD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Key Australia / US Data Releases
Economic Calendar - latest economic developments and upcoming event risk.
Active Trade Setups
- Canadian Dollar Price Outlook: USD/CAD Free-Fall Slows- Loonie Levels
- Gold Price Targets: XAU/USD Threatens Breakout- GLD Outlook
- US Dollar Price Outlook: USD Recovery Play – DXY Trade Levels
- Sterling Price Outlook: British Pound Tests 1.30– Cable Break or Bend
- Japanese Yen Price Outlook: USD Reversal Risks Deeper USD/JPY Losses
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.