Australian Dollar Price Outlook: Aussie Breakout Potential into FOMC
- Aussie rebounds off confluence support ahead of FOMC – weekly range-break to guide
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The Australian Dollar is virtually unchanged against the US Dollar since the start of the week and heading into tomorrow FOMC interest rate decision, the focus is on a break of the objective weekly opening-range for guidance. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the AUD/USD price chart. Review my latest Weekly Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this Euro price setup and more.
Australian Dollar Price Chart – AUD/USD Daily
Technical Outlook: In my last Australian Dollar Price Outlook we noted that AUD/USD was vulnerable on the back of a 2.6% advance off the yearly lows with, “initial support at 6827/32 backed by 6803 – both levels of interest for possible downside exhaustion / long-entries IF reached.” Price registered a low today at 6830 before rebounding sharply – so was that it?
Its too early to tell, but with the FOMC on tap tomorrow, we’re look for clarity here. A topside breach above the high-close at 6880 would put Aussie back in play targeting 6911 and confluence resistance at the median-line / 61.8% retracement at 6927. Key daily support now 6791 with broader bullish invalidation at 6760/66.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Australian Dollar Price Chart – AUD/USD 120min
Notes: A closer low at Aussie price action sees AUD/USD continuing to trade within the confines of an ascending pitchfork formation extending off the August / September lows with the recent pullback finding support today at lower parallel / 6827/32. Initial resistance objectives at the weekly open at 6862 backed by 6880/84 – A topside breach of the weekly opening-range would be needed to mark resumption targeting 6911 and 6924/27.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: Aussie is rebounding off confluence support today and we’re on the lookout for a low / validation of a low in price. From at trading standpoint, the focus remains weighted to the topside while within this formation targeting a topside breach of the weekly range. Weakness beyond 6815 would suggest a larger correction is underway. Stay nimble here- expect volatility with the Fed is on tap tomorrow – IF price spikes lower, look to fade a final drop closer to daily slope support / the low-day close. A stretch into 6920s would have me looking for topside exhaustion / short entries. Review my latest Australian Dollar Weekly Price Outlook for a closer look at the longer-term AUD/USD technical trading levels.
Aussie Trader Sentiment – AUD/USD Price Chart
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUD/USD - the ratio stands at +1.11 (52.6% of traders are long) – weak bearish reading
- Traders have remained net-long since July 19th; price has moved 1.5% lower since then
- Long positions are 5.6% higher than yesterday and 9.5% lower from last week
- Short positions are2.0% higher than yesterday and 13.9% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUD/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger AUD/USD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in Aussie retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Key Australia / US Data Releases
Economic Calendar - latest economic developments and upcoming event risk.
Active Trade Setups
- Euro Price Outlook: EUR/USD Breakout Targets- Battle Lines Drawn
- Canadian Dollar Rate Forecast: USD/CAD Price Rally at Risk
- Swiss Franc Price Outlook: USD/CHF Rally Grinds into Trend Resistance
- Gold Price Targets: XAU/USD Recovery Remains Vulnerable- GLD Levels
- Near-term Trade Setups in USD/CAD, GBP/USD & USD/CHF
- Sterling Price Outlook: British Pound Rally Stalls– GBP/USD Levels
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.