Canadian Dollar Price Chart: USD/CAD Breaks Out – Loonie Trade Levels
What's on this page
- USD/CAD price recovery probing confluence resistance at July range highs
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The Canadian Dollar is slipped more than 1.1% against the US Dollar over the past three sessions with the advance now testing confluence resistance at the monthly highs – our focus is on today’s close. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the USD/CAD charts this week. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this Loonie trade setup and more.
USD/CAD Price Chart - Loonie Daily
Technical Outlook: In my latest Canadian Dollar Weekly Price Outlook we noted that, “the immediate focus is on a reaction of this key zone at 1.2972-1.3052 – watch the weekly close. From a trading standpoint, look to reduce short-exposure / lower protective stops in this zone. USD/CAD tested this zone for more than four weeks with yesterday’s rally through the monthly open at 1.3076 now attempting to breach the objective July opening-range highs at 1.3145. Note that basic channel resistance extending off the yearly highs also converges on this region and further emphasizes the significance of today’s close.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/CAD Price Chart – Loonie 120min
Notes: A closer look at Loonie price action shows USD/CAD trading within the confines of an ascending pitchfork formation extending off the monthly lows with the advance now testing confluence resistance just above 1.3145. A topside breach / close above this region is needed to keep the long-bias viable targeting the upper parallel (currently ~1.32) and the 38.2% retracement of the May decline at 1.3226.
Look for initial support at the median-line, currently ~1.3115 backed by the 25% line near 1.3080. Ultimately a break below the weekly opening-range lows at 1.3040 would be needed to mark resumption lower- such a scenario would risk a drop towards confluence Fibonacci support at 1.2971.
Bottom line: The USD/CAD rally is now testing key confluence resistance at 1.3145/60 and leaves the immediate advance vulnerable while below this threshold near-term. From a trading standpoint, a good place to reduce long-exposure / raise protective stops – be on the lookout for possible exhaustion. Ultimately, a close above is needed to suggest a larger breakout is underway and validate a breach of the monthly opening-range. Failure here would have me looking for support ahead of the monthly open (1.3076) IF price is indeed heading higher.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
USD/CAD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long USD/CAD - the ratio stands at +1.05 (51.2% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Long positions are 12.2% lower than yesterday and 22.9% lower from last week
- Short positions are 18.1% higher than yesterday and 1.7% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests USD/CAD prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday & compared with last week and the recent changes in sentiment warn that the current USD/CAD price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long.
See how shifts in USD/CAD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant US / Canada Data Releases
Active Trade Setups
- Oil Price Chart: Crude Crushed Down to Support – WTI Trade Levels
- Gold Price Chart: XAU/USD Approaching Range Highs– Battle Lines Drawn
- Sterling Price Chart: British Pound Testing Post-Brexit Support
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.