Japanese Yen Weekly Price Outlook: Pending USD/JPY Range Break
- Updated weekly technicals on USD/JPY- key range in focus between 107.84 - 110.20
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD/JPY Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. Despite early-year volatility, the US Dollar is virtually unchanged against the Japanese Yen with price trading within a well-defined range just below the yearly moving-average. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the USD/JPYweekly chart.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
USD/JPY Weekly Price Chart (log)
Notes: USD/JPY collapsed into the close of 2018 with price briefly testing the yearly range lows in early January before rebounding sharply. Note that price has continued to respect (weekly close basis) a critical support zone at 107.84 - 108.43– a region defined by the 2017 low-week reversal close and key the 61.8% retracement of the 2018 range.
Initial weekly resistance stands with the 2015 trendline (blue) backed closely by the 52-week moving average at ~110.20s. A breach / close above this zone is needed to suggest a more significant low was registered last month with such a scenario targeting the 61.8% retracement of the decline at 110.77 backed by the 200-week moving average / 2018 yearly open at 112.45/59. A downside break of this range targets 106.75 and the 2013 trendline (red).
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line: USD/JPY has continued to hold a well-defined range between 107.84 - 110.20 and we’re looking for the break for guidance. From a trading standpoint, the bearish bias remains vulnerable while above this key support zone with a topside breach needed to keep the reversal play viable. I’ll publish an updated USD/JPY Price Outlook once we get further clarity on the near-term trading levels.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/JPY Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long USD/JPY - the ratio stands at +1.05 (51.3% of traders are long) – neutral reading
- Long positions are 1.3% lower than yesterday and unchanged from last week
- Short positions are1.8% higher than yesterday and 0.6% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests USD/JPY prices may continue to fall. Positioning is less net-long than yesterday but more net-long from last week. The combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a further mixed USD/JPY trading bias from a sentiment standpoint
See how shifts in USD/JPY retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant USD/JPY Data Releases
Previous Weekly Technical Charts
- Euro vs Japanese Yen (EUR/JPY)
- Gold (XAU/USD)
- Canadian Dollar (USD/CAD)
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD/USD)
- Crude Oil (WTI)
- British Pound (GBP/USD)
- US Dollar Index (DXY)
- Euro (EUR/USD)
--- Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.