AUD/USD Technical Price Outlook: Aussie Recovery Losing Steam
- AUD/USD rally fails just ahead of technical resistance- Constructive while above 2019 open
- Check out our new 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The Australian Dollar has rallied more than 6.6% against the US Dollar off the early-January low with the advance looking vulnerable just below technical resistance. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the AUD/USD charts. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
AUD/USD Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: In my latest AUD/USD Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that Aussie reversal was, “approaching the first major resistance hurdle, and a make-or-break pivot just higher near 7240s – look for a reaction there IF reached.” Price registered a high at 7235 last Friday before pulling back with Aussie drifting sideways this week. The risk remains for a deeper pullback here but ultimately, we’re looking for more favorable long-entries on a move lower.
Daily support rest at 7145 backed by the median-line of the proposed pitchfork extending off the 2018 / 2019 lows with broader bullish invalidation at 7005/21. A topside breach targets subsequent resistance objectives at 7276 and the 200-day moving average / 61.8% retracement at 7322/27.
AUD/USD 240min Price Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action show AUD/USD trading within a tight range this week just above near-term support at 7145. A break below this level would risk a larger setback in price with such a scenario targeting the median-line (currently ~7100) backed by the yearly open at 7042 and the October low at 7021- both areas of interest for possible exhaustion if reached.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: The Australian Dollar rebound off multi-year lows looks like it may have lost steam here and leaves the immediate advance vulnerable while below 7275. From a trading standpoint, we’re looking for a break of this channel for near-term guidance. A move lower would risk a larger correction in price – be on the lookout for downside exhaustion ahead of the yearly open IF this advance has legs.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
AUD/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUD/USD - the ratio stands at +1.22 (54.9% of traders are long) – weak bearishreading
- Traders have remained net-long since December 4th; price has moved 1.9% lower since then
- Long positions are3.7% lower than yesterday and 0.9% lower from last week
- Short positions are 8.1% lower than yesterday and 3.3% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUD/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday & last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger AUD/USD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in AUD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant AUD/USD Data Releases
Active Trade Setups
- GBP/USD Price Outlook: Pound Testing Key Resistance Amid Brexit Talks
- Gold Price Technical Outlook: Targets for Pending XAU/USD Breakout
- EUR/USD Technical Price Outlook: Euro Testing Lower Bounds of Support
- USD/CAD Price Outlook: Rally Stalls at Critical Resistance Zone
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.