Weekly Technical Perspective on Euro vs US Dollar (EUR/USD)
What's on this page
- Updated weekly technicals on EUR/USD – price testing multi-year slope support
- Check out our 4Q projections in our Free DailyFX EUR/USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and take a look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. Euro is trading into a critical support confluence early in the month with major event risk on tap this week. Here are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the EUR/USD weekly chart. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
EUR/USD Weekly Price Chart
Notes: In last week’s EUR/USD Price Outlook, we highlighted the 1.1780/91 resistance barrier while noting that, “a breach / close here is still needed to fuel the next ‘leg’ higher in price.” Euro probed into this region for days (never closed above) with a final attempt post-FOMC giving way to a 2.6% sell-off in the single currency.
The decline is now testing multi-year slope support extending off the November 2015 lows (red) with the 61.8% retracement just lower highlighting a key zone at 1.1498-1.1510- we’re looking for a reaction off this mark with the immediate short-bias at risk while above. Ultimately a breach above the 1.17-handle would be needed to shift the broader focus back to the long-side.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Bottom line:Looking for signs of downside exhaustion while above 1.1498 for now. From a trading standpoint, a good spot to reduce short-exposure / lower protective stops with the near-term focus on a possible long-entries. A break / close below would invalidate the reversal play with such a scenario targeting the yearly low-week close at 1.1436 backed by the 200-week moving average / slope support at ~1.1330 and the 1.13 handle. Keep in mind we’re just now beginning to carve out the October opening range with US Non-Farm Payrolls (NFP) on tap this Friday.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
EUR/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long EUR/USD - the ratio stands at +1.03 (50.6% of traders are long) – extremely weak bearish / neutralreading
- Long positions are16.0% higher than yesterday and 27.7% higher from last week
- Short positions are 1.7% higher than yesterday and 15.1% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/USD prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger EUR/USD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in EUR/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant EUR/USD Data Releases
Previous Weekly Technical Perspectives
- Gold Prices (XAU/USD)
- Canadian Dollar (USD/CAD)
- Crude Oil (WTI)
- Japanese Yen (USD/JPY)
- US Dollar Index (DXY)
--- Written by Michael Boutros, Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.