AUD/JPY Price Analysis: Yearly Low Exposed After Early-March Reversal
- AUD/JPY turns from 2017 lows- rebound testing initial resistance
- Check out our 2018projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
AUD/JPY opened the week just above a key support pivot with a rebound in price taking the pair back towards downtrend resistance. The focus is on a break of a near-term range as we look for evidence that a larger recovery may be underway within the context of the broader downtrend.
AUD/JPY Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: In this week’s Technical Perspective we noted that AUD/JPY was testing a critical inflection zone at 81.58, “into the weekly open and IF price is going to rebound, this would be a good spot.” Indeed the pair rebounded after testing this key support threshold with the advance turning just ahead of confluence resistance at 83.38. The immediate focus is on a break of range with a breach above the median-line needed to fuel the next leg higher. That said, a break below would keep the broader short-bias in play targeting the sliding parallel (red) and the 61.8% retracement at 80.57.
AUD/JPY 120min Price Chart
Notes: A closer look at AUD/JPY price action highlights a near-term descending pitchfork formation extending off the January highs with the pair rebounding off a sliding parallel (red) extending off the 2/14 low early in the week. The advance encountered resistance at 83.28/38 yesterday- note that this threshold converges on the median-line and a breach / close above would be needed to suggest a more significant near-term low is in place. Such a scenario eyes subsequent topside resistance objectives at 84.25/38 backed by the upper parallel.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Interim support rests with the 61.8% retracement of the advance at 82.19 with a break below 81.58 needed to put the bears back in control targeting 80.57/68. Bottom line: We’re looking for evidence that a near-term low is in place and on the back of what looks like a clear five-wave advance off the lows, we’ll favor fading weakness while above 81.58.
From a trading standpoint, I’ll be looking for a pullback here to offer favorable entries targeting a break higher. Ultimately, we’d be looking to sell a larger rally up towards the upper bounds of this formation. Keep in mind we still have the release of the Bank of Japan (BoJ) interest rate decision on Friday.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy.
AUD/JPY IG Client Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long AUDJPY- the ratio stands at +1.57 (61.1% of traders are long) – bearishreading
- Traders have remained net-long since Feb 8th; price has moved 4.3% lower since then
- Long positions are 1.1% lower than yesterday and 14.6% lower from last week
- Short positions are5.2% lower than yesterday and unchanged from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUDJPY prices may continue to fall. Retail is more net-long than yesterday but less net-long from last week andthe combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed AUDJPY trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in AUD/JPY retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play
- AUD/USD Technical Outlook: Price Reversal to Gather Pace
- Weekly Technical Outlook: US Dollar Reversal Under Review (Webinar)
- Forex Technical Outlook: USD/CHF Rallies to Fresh Monthly Highs
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP/USD Consolidates Above Key Support
- GBP/USD Price Plummets into Critical Support Zone
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
To receive Michael’s analysis directly, please sign-upto his email distribution list
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.