EUR/USD Technical Analysis – Price Rebound Eyes Key Resistance Hurdles
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- EUR/USD rebound eyes key resistance hurdles- constructive while above 1.18
- Check out our EUR/USD quarterly projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
EUR/USD Daily Chart
Technical Outlook: Euro has been trading within the confines of a well-defined descending pitchfork formation extending off the yearly high. Price established the monthly opening range lows along the median-line with the recovery now targeting confluence resistance at 1.1898-1.1903 – a region defined by the monthly open and the November high-day reversal close. A breach above this region targets key topside resistance objectives at 1.1947/72 and the high-day close at 1.2035.
Interim support rests at 1.1803/09 where the 100-day moving average converges on the 50-line of the broader ascending pitchfork formation highlighted in my Weekly Technical Perspective. Broader bullish invalidation rests at 1.1709- keep in mind this level also defines the objective monthly opening-range lows and if broken would suggest a larger correction is underway.
EUR/USD 240min Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action sees the pair trading within the confines of an embedded descending median-line formation extending off the November highs with the advance reversing off the upper parallel yesterday in U.S. trade. Note that the pair has carved out a well-defined monthly opening-range just below resistance at 1.1947/65- and a breach above this threshold is needed to mark resumption of the broader uptrend.
Bottom line: could get some kickback from this level but the focus remains higher while above 1.18 with a breakout of this near-term formation needed to suggest a more significant low is in place. A break sub-1.1741 would shift the focus back towards the monthly lows and key support ~1.17.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis mini-series
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-short EURUSD- the ratio stands at -2.09 (32.3% of traders are long) – bullishreading
- Long positions are 9.4% lower than yesterday and 15.0% lower from last week
- Short positions are 3.0% higher than yesterday and 24.4% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests EURUSD prices may continue to rise. Traders are further net-short than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a stronger EURUSD-bullish contrarian trading bias.
See how shifts in EUR/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Other Setups in Play
- Crude Oil Price Analysis: Multi-month Consolidation Break Imminent
- NZD/USD Technical Analysis – Pullback to Offer Opportunity
- Weekly Technical Outlook: Top 2018 Trade Setups
- AUD/USD Bullish Reversal Eyes Initial Resistance Targets
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.