To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- AUDJPY/JPY recovery extends into near-term resistance confluence
- Check out our 4Q projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
AUD/JPY Daily Chart
Technical Outlook: AUD/JPY has been trading within the confines a well-defined descending pitchfork formation extending off the yearly highs with prices trading into resistance today at the 38.2% retracement at 86.16. Note that the 200-day moving average also comes in just ahead of this level and a close above would be needed to keep the upside momentum going. That said, look for interim support / near-term bullish invalidation at the monthly open at 85.12.
New to Forex? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
AUD/JPY 240min Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action highlights a near-term ascending pitchfork formationextending off the November lows with the upper parallel (blue) converging on the 38.2% retracement at 86.16. Look for interim support along the median-line with the lower parallel further highlighting the monthly open at 85.12- A break below this level would be needed to mark resumption of the broader downtrend targeting key support at 84.13/25.
A breach above this high would likely see accelerated gains for the pair with such a scenario targeting the upper parallel of the downslope / 86.77. Bottom line: near-term divergence into this confluence resistance level leaves the immediate advance at risk while below 86.16 with a break below this formation needed to mark the end of the recovery. Keep in mind we get the release of Australia 3Q GDP figures tomorrow.
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-long AUDJPY- the ratio stands at +1.14 (53.2% of traders are long) – weak bearishreading
- Retail has remained net-long since Nov 28; price has moved 1.1% higher since then
- Long positions are 20.8% lower than yesterday and 8.5% lower from last week
- Short positions are 21.5% higher than yesterday and 21.4% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests AUDJPY prices may continue to fall. However, traders are less net-long than yesterday but more net-long from last week. The combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed AUDJPY trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in AUD/JPY retail positioning are impacting trend- Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Other Setups in Play
- NZD/JPY Challenges Resistance into December Open- Watch this Level
- Weekly Technical Outlook: Top December Setups on USD, EUR Crosses
- EUR/USD Price Analysis: Bullish Outlook Mired by Slope Resistance
- GBP/USD Breakout Faces First Hurdle- Bullish Above November Open
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org