USD/JPY Eyes Key 2017 Resistance Hurdle Ahead of NFP Report
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- USDJPY testing range highs ahead of NFP- Focus is on key resistance at 114.50
- Check out our 4Q USD/JPY projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
USD/JPY Daily Chart
Technical Outlook:USD/JPY is trading just below a critical resistance barrier at 114.30/50- a region defined by the 61.8% retracement of the yearly range and the May and July swing highs. The focus is on this key threshold heading into tomorrow’s U.S. Non-Farm Payrolls (NFP) report and the November open.
Daily support rests back at the October open at 112.65 with broader bullish invalidation down at 111.60/72 (key support confluence). A breach higher from here targets 115.44/52 where the 61.8% retracement of the broader 2015 decline converges on the 61.8% extension of the advance off the September lows. Subsequent targets eyed at the yearly open at 116.98 which converges on the 50-line later this month.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
USD/JPY 240min Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action highlights a near-term ascending median-line formation extending off August & September lows with price opening the month just below key resistance. From a trading standpoint, the immediate advance remains vulnerable while below this threshold with near-term support eyed at 113.05. A break below the October open at 112.64 would be needed to validate a near-term reversal with such a scenario targeting initial support objectives at 111.73 & 110.67/82.
Bottom line: the immediate focus is on a break of the 113-114.50 range to offer guidance on our medium-term directional bias. Ultimately a lager pullback would offer more favorable long-entries lower down.
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-short USDJPY- the ratio stands at -1.3 (43.5% of traders are long) – Weak bullishreading
- Long positions are 18.8% lower than yesterday and 14.7% lower from last week
- Short positions are 3.3% higher than yesterday and 3.4% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests USDJPY prices may continue to rise. Traders are further net-short than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger USDJPY-bullish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in USD/JPY retail positioning are impacting trend- Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Check out this week’s DailyFX Webinar Schedule
Other Setups in Play
- GBP/USD Rebound to Face FOMC, BoE, NFP- Levels to Know
- USD/CAD Eyes Resistance Ahead of FOMC, US & Canada Employment
- Weekly Technical Outlook: Stormy Seas Heading into BoE, FOMC & NFP
- EUR/JPY Plummets into Monthly Lows
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.