Gold Prices Surge to Fresh Yearly Highs as Global Tensions Rise
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- Gold responds to key resistance zone- immediate long-bias at risk while below
- Check out our Gold quarterly projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Mounting geo-political tensions with North Korea and the recent increase in market volatility has continued to fuel demand for the perceived safety of gold with prices continuing to plow higher since early-July. Weakness in the greenback has also contributed to the rally with bullion prices up more than 14% year-to-date. That said, we’re now approaching a region of technical resistance which may cap the advance near-term.
Gold Daily Chart
Technical Outlook: Gold tested a critical resistance confluence yesterday at 1321/25- a region defined by the 78.6% retracement of the 2016 decline and the 61.8% extension of the advance off the 2015 low. Note that parallel resistance (purple) also converges on this zone and further highlights the technical significance of the region- the immediate long-bias is at risk while below this threshold heading into the close of the month.
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here !
Notes:In last week’s weekly Gold forecast we noted that gold prices were trading within a well-defined ascending channel formation extending off the July lows and heading into the start of the week our focus remained weighted to the topside,“while within this formation with bullish invalidation now raised to the monthly open at 1268. Interim resistance stands at 1295 backed closely by 1303- a breach there is needed fuel the next leg higher targeting 1321/25.”
The reaction seen at the 1321/25 resistance zone shifts the near-term focus towards support targets at 1303 & 1295/97. Near-term bullish invalidation now raised to 1291. A breach higher from here keeps the long-bias in play targeting 1335/36 backed by 1346 & 1356. Bottom line: While the immediate risk is for a pullback off these levels, I’d be looking for a reaction near channel support with the broader outlook weighted to the topside while within this channel.
New to Forex? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Gold- the ratio stands at +1.82 (64.5% of traders are long) –bearish reading
- Long positions are 5.3% lower than yesterday but3.2% higher from last week
- Short positions are 0.1% higher than yesterday and 10.8% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Gold prices may continue to fall. That said,retail is less net-long than yesterday but more net-long from last week andthe combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed Gold trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in Gold retail positioning are impacting trend- Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Check out this week’s DailyFX Webinar Schedule
Other Setups in Play
- Ethereum Prices Hit Two-Month High, 385 in Sight
- USD/CAD Teeters on the Precipice Ahead of Jackson Hole
- GBP/USD Sell-off Now Approaching Key Support Targets
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.