USD/CAD Price Action Primed for NFP, Canada Employment
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- USDCAD Rebounds off support ahead of key U.S. / Canada Jobs Reports
- Check out our New USDCAD 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Technical Outlook: Last week we questioned whether USDCAD had put in a near-term low at the 1.2415 key support zone- “this level is defined by a long-term 61.8% ext of the broader decline off the 2016 high and converges on a parallel support extending off the 9/21 swing low (red). Note that daily momentum is also attempting to break back above the 30-mark and highlights the risk for a near-term recovery in price.”
Price has since rebounded with daily RSI recovering back above the 30 threshold. The advance is now tested initial resistance at the 1.26-handle and heading into tomorrow’s event risk the focus remains on this level of resistance with a breach higher needed to fuel the next leg in USDCAD. A break below confluence median-line support ~1.2350 would mean BIG trouble for the greenback.
Learn more about Pitchfork & Median-line formations in Michael’s three-part trading series
USD/CAD 120min Chart
Notes: A newly identified pitchfork extending off the low highlights near-term support at the median-line with our broader near-term focus higher while above 1.2481. A breach above the upper parallel targets confluence resistance into 1.2680 backed by the double bottom objective / 23.6% retracement at 1.2733/39.
From a trading standpoint, I’ll favor fading weakness while within this near-term formation with a breach above 1.2740 needed to suggest a more meaningful reversal is underway in the Loonie. Added caution is warranted heading into the releases tomorrow as we get both U.S. Non-Farm Payrolls and Canada employment data released at the same time (8:30am ET) and are likely to fuel increased volatility in this pair.
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long USD/CAD- the ratio stands at +4.35 (81.3% of traders are long) –bearishreading
- Retail has been net-long since June 7th- price is 6.8% lower since then
- Long positions are 2.7% higher than yesterday and 14.0% higher from last week
- Short positions are 19.9% lower than yesterday and 21.6% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests USDCAD prices may continue fall. Retail is further net-long than yesterday and last week and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger USDCAD-bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
- That said, sentiment has now reached into fresh yearly extremes AS price is responding to key support. Heading into NFP / Canada employment, the short- bias is at risk while above support. Look for a pullback in long exposure to further suggest a low near-term low may be in place.
What to look for in USD/CAD retail positioning - Click here to learn more about sentiment!
Relevant Data Releases
Join Michael on Friday for his bi-weekly Live Webinar on the Foundations of Technical Analysis- Register for Free Here!
Other Setups in Play:
- GBP/JPY Back at Resistance Ahead of BoE’s Super Thursday
- EUR/USD Rally Vulnerable Ahead of NFP- Pullback to Offer Opportunity
- Webinar: USD at the Lows Ahead of the July Close- When Will the Pain End?
- Cryptocurrency Analysis: Bitcoin, Ethereum Prices Plunge into Support
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.