AUD/USD Runs to Highs as Dollar Sell-off Deepens
To receive Michael’s analysis directly via email, please SIGN UP HERE
- Aussie rally pushes to fresh monthly highs- topside targets in view
- Check out our quarterly AUD/USD projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Technical Outlook:The Aussie has continued to trade within the confines of an ascending pitchfork formation- although it doesn’t look that compelling here, intraday price action does shows more evidence for the use of this slope. That said, price is testing the 161.8% extension of the advance off the May lows at 7676/80.
A breach higher from here targets a longer-term trendline resistance extending off the 2016 highs (red), currently around ~7705 (note that the 2017 high-day close comes in at 7690). This threshold is backed closely by a critical resistance zone at 7735/56 where the 2016 high-day close converges on the upper parallel and the 88.6% retracement. Both of these regions represent areas of interest for near-term exhaustion / short-entries.
Notes: A closer look at the 240min chart highlights initial support at 7650 / the median-line with the immediate focus higher while above this region, for now. Key support and broader bullish invalidation rests lower at 7560/67.
Remember, we’re heading into the close of the week, month & quarter- not our favored intraday trading environment. That said, added caution is warranted heading into tomorrow’s data releases with U.S. Personal Consumption Expenditure (PCE) and income / spending figures on tap.
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-short AUDUSD- the ratio stands at -2.12 (32.1% of traders are long) - bullish reading
- Retail has been net-long since June 4th; price has moved 2.9% higher since then
- Percentage of traders net-long is now its lowest since Jun 20 when AUDUSD traded near 75802
- Long positions are 26.1% lower than yesterday and 26.6% lower from last week
- Short positions are 9.4% higher than yesterday and 11.0% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, keeping the focus higher for the Aussie. That said, prices are approaching key resistance targets as sentiment is pressing fresh monthly extremes and does leave the long-bias vulnerable heading into the close of the month.
See how shifts in AUDUSD retail positioning are effecting market trends- Click here to learn more!
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- Crude Oil Prices Continue to Rally- Nearing Resistance
- NZD/USD: Has the Rally Finally Peaked?
- Strategy Webinar: Monthly Close Setups– Commodities, FX Majors in Focus as USD Struggles
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.