USD/CAD Freefalls into Critical Zone
- USD/CAD breaks key support confluence; sell-off approaching initial support targets
- Check out our USD/CAD 2Q projections in our Free DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Technical Outlook:USD/CAD broke below key technical support today at the 2017 open at 1.3435. Note that this break also invalidates a trendline extending off the 2/16 low and keeps the broader focus lower while below this threshold.
The decline is now approaching initial support at the confluence of the 200-day moving average and a pair of parallels around ~1.3325- a break lower still has to contend with the 1.3284/96 where the 61.8% extension of the decline off the yearly highs converges on the 61.8% retracement of the 2017 range. Both of these zones represent areas of interest for possible exhaustion / near-term recovery in price. Interim resistance stands at 1.3380 with our broader bearish invalidation level set to 1.3461.A break below the 1.3284/96 Fibonacci barrier targets subsequent targets at the April swing low at 1.3223 backed by critical support into 1.3141/45.
Notes: A closer look at price action highlights a descending slope we’ve been tracking off the yearly highs with price now testing the lower parallel. Note that momentum is testing its lowest levels since 5/24 when the pair rebounded off this same slope.
That said, from a trading standpoint, today’s price action constitutes an objective break of the monthly opening range and keeps our focus lower sub-1.3435 with a breach above 1.3461 needed to shift the focus back towards the monthly opening range highs near 1.3543. Bottom line: if we’re going to see a bounce, it may come from these next support targets- either way we’ll want to ultimately use such a rally as an opportunity to get back on the short-side. Added caution is warranted heading into this week's highly anticipated FOMC interest rate decision with the release and subsequent presser with Chair Janet Yellen likely to fuel added volatility in the USD crosses.
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-long USD/CAD- the ratio stands at +1.21 (57.7% of traders are long)- bearish reading
- Long positions are 0.5% lower than yesterday and 8.1% lower from last week
- Short positions are 21.8% higher than yesterday but 18.8% lower from last week
- Although broader sentiment continues point lower for the pair, it’s worth noting that the recent surge in short-positioning leaves softens the bearish signal in the near-term. That said, we’ll continue to favor fading strength in the pair while below structural resistance.
See how shifts in USD/CAD retail positioning are effecting market trends- Click here to learn more about IG Client Sentiment indicators!
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- Strategy Webinar: USD Majors in Focus as FOMC Takes Center Stage
- Kiwi Rally Continues: Bullish Up-Trend Vulnerable Sub-7230
- ECB to Make-or-Break EURJPY – Watch This Range
- EUR/USD Stalls at Resistance Ahead of ECB, Comey
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.